Windows Starter recovery w/o dvd

F

felmon

Thread starter #1
greets!



just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.



I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-

install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.



what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of

reinstallation?



the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one

and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly

complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.



I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything

useful.



felmon
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Thread starter #2
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:



> greets!

>

> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

>

> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-

> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.

>

> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of

> reinstallation?

>

> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one

> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly

> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.

>

> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything

> useful.

>

> felmon




Ask the manufacturer to send you a restore disc.



--

Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
 
Thread starter #3
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:



>On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:

>

>> greets!

>>

>> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

>>

>> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-

>> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.

>>

>> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of

>> reinstallation?

>>

>> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one

>> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly

>> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.

>>

>> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything

>> useful.

>>

>> felmon


>

>Ask the manufacturer to send you a restore disc.




Won't work since he has no external DVD reader/writer (the netbook has

none internally). But as I said, if he did he could make his own

recovery disk.



To the OP: I recently restored my Eee PC netbook (also no internal DVD

but which came with a recovery DVD disk) and besides needing the

external DVD writer for that, I needed it to reinstall all my old

apps, which of course came on CD/DVDs... )



Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...
 
B

BillW50

Thread starter #4
AJL wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:58:41 -0700:

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:

>

>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:

>>

>>> greets!

>>>

>>> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

>>>

>>> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-

>>> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.

>>>

>>> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of

>>> reinstallation?

>>>

>>> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one

>>> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly

>>> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.

>>>

>>> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything

>>> useful.

>>>

>>> felmon


>> Ask the manufacturer to send you a restore disc.


>

> Won't work since he has no external DVD reader/writer (the netbook has

> none internally). But as I said, if he did he could make his own

> recovery disk.

>

> To the OP: I recently restored my Eee PC netbook (also no internal DVD

> but which came with a recovery DVD disk) and besides needing the

> external DVD writer for that, I needed it to reinstall all my old

> apps, which of course came on CD/DVDs... )

>

> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...




Hello AJL! Did you know that Asus Xandros recovery DVD (or was it your

Windows machine one?) can be used in another computer with a drive and

it can create the recovery on a flash drive? I believe it needs to be at

least 2GB in size.



There are ways to get by without an external DVD drive. But some of them

requires a lot of work to get say Windows to install from a flash drive.

But it can be done. But I do agree, getting an external DVD drive really

does make things as easy as it gets. Yes I have a few of them myself.



--

Bill

2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

2 Asus EEE PC 7028G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Windows XP SP2/SP3 ~ Xandros Linux
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Thread starter #5
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:58:41 -0700, AJL wrote:



> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:

>

>>On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:03:11 -0500, felmon wrote:

>>

>>> greets!

>>>

>>> just got a Samsung N150 Plus netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

>>>

>>> I wanted to back up the Windows recovery partition to be able to re-

>>> install it if it gets corrupted or if I remove it.

>>>

>>> what is a good way to back it up with an eye on certainty and ease of

>>> reinstallation?

>>>

>>> the N150 doesn't have a dvd. I suppose I could purchase an external one

>>> and will do so if that is necessary or if other methods are terribly

>>> complex or uncertain but would rather avoid that.

>>>

>>> I have tried googling around but so far I haven't stumbled on anything

>>> useful.

>>>

>>> felmon


>>

>>Ask the manufacturer to send you a restore disc.


>

> Won't work since he has no external DVD reader/writer (the netbook has

> none internally). But as I said, if he did he could make his own

> recovery disk.




Well, the manufacturer sent me a restore DVD for an Acer netbook that

didn't have an optical drive. BTW, the disk was free, and they didn't

hassle me at all when I called.



Please - please - explain to me how my not having a drive prevents a

manufacturer from sending me a restore DVD :)



> To the OP: I recently restored my Eee PC netbook (also no internal DVD

> but which came with a recovery DVD disk) and besides needing the

> external DVD writer for that, I needed it to reinstall all my old

> apps, which of course came on CD/DVDs... )

>

> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...






--

Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
 
Thread starter #6
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:



>Well, the manufacturer sent me a restore DVD for an Acer netbook that

>didn't have an optical drive. BTW, the disk was free, and they didn't

>hassle me at all when I called.




Heck Asus *included* the recovery DVD in the new packaging of both my

Eee PC netbooks that have no internal DVD drive to run them on.



And of course my full size Acer laptops came with *no* recovery DVD

even though they *do have* an internal DVD drive. Go figure.



In the past when I had an HP laptop and I had them send me a recovery

disk they charged me $10 for it. I like the Asus way the best... )
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Thread starter #7
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:32:19 -0700, AJL wrote:



> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:

>

>>Well, the manufacturer sent me a restore DVD for an Acer netbook that

>>didn't have an optical drive. BTW, the disk was free, and they didn't

>>hassle me at all when I called.


>

> Heck Asus *included* the recovery DVD in the new packaging of both my

> Eee PC netbooks that have no internal DVD drive to run them on.

>

> And of course my full size Acer laptops came with *no* recovery DVD

> even though they *do have* an internal DVD drive. Go figure.




It's an unfortunate crap shoot, I guess...



> In the past when I had an HP laptop and I had them send me a recovery

> disk they charged me $10 for it. I like the Asus way the best... )




The other computers here have software to burn recovery DVDs, but I had to

supply my own blanks :)



Two of them are not much good anyway - the computers stated out with

Windows Vista and I upgraded them to Win 7, so I'm not eager to recover to

factory status.



I'll rely on backups - which I don't do often enough. Of course :)



--

Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
 
B

BillW50

Thread starter #8
Gene E. Bloch wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:13:36 -0700:

[...]

> The other computers here have software to burn recovery DVDs, but I had to

> supply my own blanks :)

>

> Two of them are not much good anyway - the computers stated out with

> Windows Vista and I upgraded them to Win 7, so I'm not eager to recover to

> factory status.

>

> I'll rely on backups - which I don't do often enough. Of course :)




Well I personally value backups far superior to the recovery disc

anyway. As once you have backups, the recovery disc is only good for if

you want to sell or give your computer away anyway. As why would you

want a system without your favorite applications and settings for? And

in your case, a totally different OS to boot. -)



--

Bill

2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

2 Asus EEE PC 7028G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Windows XP SP2/SP3 ~ Xandros Linux
 
A
Thread starter #9
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:



>The other computers here have software to burn recovery DVDs, but I had to

>supply my own blanks :)




My 2 Acers also came with built in software to make recovery disks and

nagged until you did (or turned off the nag) which seemed odd to me

because both laptops have recovery partitions. However I usually get

rid of the recovery software and use the partition for more drive

space so always made the disks. My older Acer can only burn CDs

(although it reads DVDs) so it took 7 CDs for the 'recovery disk'...



>Two of them are not much good anyway - the computers stated out with

>Windows Vista and I upgraded them to Win 7, so I'm not eager to recover to

>factory status.




*My theory* is that a laptop works best with the software that was

matched to and originally came installed on it. And AJL's theory of

laptops #2 is that the original factory installation as restored by a

recovery disk works faster and better than that OS with a years worth

of updates. The theory certainly works out on this netbook... )
 
F

felmon

Thread starter #10
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:58:41 -0700, AJL wrote:



> To the OP: I recently restored my Eee PC netbook (also no internal DVD

> but which came with a recovery DVD disk) and besides needing the

> external DVD writer for that, I needed it to reinstall all my old apps,

> which of course came on CD/DVDs...

>

> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...




I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am

packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would

be nice not to carry more gear.



am looking into clonezilla.



Felmon
 
F

felmon

Thread starter #11
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:31:56 -0500, BillW50 wrote:



> Well I personally value backups far superior to the recovery disc

> anyway. As once you have backups, the recovery disc is only good for if

> you want to sell or give your computer away anyway. As why would you

> want a system without your favorite applications and settings for? And

> in your case, a totally different OS to boot. -)




in principle I agree with this but this device may go to my spouse and we

are a two operating system ('bi-OS'?) couple so I figured it would be

good to be able to restore to factory condition once I'm done with it.



perhaps I should just configure the Windows partition to my liking, back

that up and give her the kit and kaboodle when the time comes, she'd

probably be just as happy, or happier even.



Felmon
 
B

BillW50

Thread starter #12
AJL wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:01:08 -0700:

> *My theory* is that a laptop works best with the software that was

> matched to and originally came installed on it. And AJL's theory of

> laptops #2 is that the original factory installation as restored by a

> recovery disk works faster and better than that OS with a years worth

> of updates. The theory certainly works out on this netbook... )




Yes, I too have seen this evidence time and time again. -)



--

Bill

2 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

2 Asus EEE PC 7028G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Windows XP SP2/SP3 ~ Xandros Linux
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Thread starter #13
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:31:56 -0500, BillW50 wrote:



> Gene E. Bloch wrote on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:13:36 -0700:

> [...]

>> The other computers here have software to burn recovery DVDs, but I had to

>> supply my own blanks :)

>>

>> Two of them are not much good anyway - the computers stated out with

>> Windows Vista and I upgraded them to Win 7, so I'm not eager to recover to

>> factory status.

>>

>> I'll rely on backups - which I don't do often enough. Of course :)


>

> Well I personally value backups far superior to the recovery disc

> anyway. As once you have backups, the recovery disc is only good for if

> you want to sell or give your computer away anyway. As why would you

> want a system without your favorite applications and settings for? And

> in your case, a totally different OS to boot. -)




I agree -- I have used a recovery disc for just the purpose you mention,

with the addition of running a disk wipe program to clear the now unused

portion of the recovered disk (just for paranoia) before giving it away.



As for value of recovering to a totally different OS to boot (is the pun

intended?) and the value of backups, well, obviously we agree there too.



--

Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
 
M
Thread starter #14


>> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...


>

>I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am

>packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would

>be nice not to carry more gear.




Yes, that extra 10 ounces of gear could really ruin your trip.
 
D

Death

Thread starter #15
M.L. wrote:



>

>

>>> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...


>>

>>I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am

>>packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would

>>be nice not to carry more gear.


>

> Yes, that extra 10 ounces of gear could really ruin your trip.




That's why Death doesn't carry anything smaller than a $50.

Those $20's get heavy.

Airport bums will relieve you of the small bills.

Wad 'em up in a ball, and toss 'em, watch a drunken bum take a face

plant trying to fetch 'em.



--

Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,

Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.
 
F

felmon

Thread starter #16
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:59:49 -0500, M.L. wrote:





>>> Get the DVD writer, you won't be sorry...


>>

>>I am seriously considering this but I'm a bit short of time as I am

>>packing for a European jaunt and everything is last moment plus it would

>>be nice not to carry more gear.


>

> Yes, that extra 10 ounces of gear could really ruin your trip.




I'm glad you understand!



Felmon