cannot install update kb2802968 and kb2780091

System

Staff member
May 19, 2012
In the Machine
Hello

Recently on the update history I have noticed that these updates have been trying to complete since Feb 12, 2013 without success.
They keep failing to install. The description for them are as follows:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2780091) and (KB2802968)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may
have to restart your system.
--------------------------------------------
All of the other updates have been successful. I am concerned because these updates that keep failing , are to prevent malicious take over. I have updated Adobe flash to the latest version. I am running Windows XP 32 bit service pack 3.
I am running the latest version of Avast Pro. Firewall is Sygate. I noticed something peculiar I have never seen before ::
The Icon for Avast in the task bar, showed that everything was on and running, but when I right clicked on the icon
, it showed all the shields were disabled, very strange. I have done multiple and varied virus scans and only came up with various "Open Candy" hits , but also " Win32/NetTool.Portscan.NAA" all these hits were quarintined. I also changed all my passwords
and have been staying off the internet for the most part. I have been unsuccessful in getting these 2 updates to work. Please , any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Info as follows ::

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionVersion 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP
IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702Build 86001
MS Office 2007 / Compatibility Pack SP 3
MS Word 2003
MS.Net Framework 2.0 SP 1 / 2.0 SP 2 / 3.0 SP 1 / 3.0 SP 2 / 3.5 SP 1 / 4 Client Profile

Antivirus - Avast Pro
Firewall - Sygate Pro
I do windows updates manually every second Tuesday, but the last one I think I was a bit late
and did not do it until Thursday.
I searched the MS site, but can not seem to find info on these updates.
Sorry if I have left out any info, I'm not to sure what to provide, I'm not to technical.

Nervous Ned

View this thread

Back
Top Bottom