Gears of War 4 corrupted files require the game to be uninstalled and reinstalled, why?

D

Dazza1967

The Windows Store, let's be honest here, is utterly mediocre at best and at worst an absolute nightmare when trying to download large 50+ GB games, seemingly because it was just not designed for that purpose but smaller apps and mobile-type games instead.

I have persevered with the Store despite having to restart downloads that stopped half way through only to start downloading from the beginning again (Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3) but it wasn't until yesterday that I experienced my first corrupted file which is reported during the loading screen when I start Gears of War 4. This corruption occurred after an update downloaded and installed last night.

The game even identifies the corrupted file but, what's this, there is no way to verify or redownload this corrupted file despite Windows actually telling me which file it is!!! I am (unhelpfully) redirected to a web page that suggests I uninstall and reinstall the game; a game I might add that is in excess of 100 GBs!!! Not all of have 100+ Mbps fibre connections; I am on a non-fibre connection that downloads at around 1.5 MB/sec so to redownload this game again would take days (which means not being able to do anything else or limiting the bandwidth so the download takes even longer).

This would not have been acceptable five years ago but it is absurd that Microsoft have a Store that doesn't offer basic functions like backups or validation/repair of files in 2018. It is shocking and it is no wonder that the Store is gaining such a bad reputation among PC gamers, much like the dreadful Games for Windows Live before it.

Is there really no way to repair or redownload this corrupted file? Does anyone know a workaround for issues like this? Should I just wait to see if the next patch somehow fixes the corruption the current one caused?

If not then I will be uninstalling this game and I will refuse to buy anything on the Windows Store until Microsoft enter the 21st century and release an app that actually works properly like Steam, Origin, Battle.net and UPlay do (I have no problems at all with downloading on any of those platforms).

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom