Network adapter constantly dropping connection

M

MPDEL

Hello, I hope this is in the right place and I hope I'm following proper protocol but I'm desperate and in a rush because my connection will probably be dropped again soon.

I'm not very versed in the technical aspects, though I do learn fast, so I'll appreciate step-by-step instructions.

I'm running on a newly reformatted Dell Inspiron N5110 with Windows 10 Pro. My network adapter is Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030. Connection drops CONSTANTLY. It's not my ISP as other devices connected to it function normally. Usually I'll get the yellow triangle warning sign telling me I don't have internet access (even though it shows that it's connected to my router and the signal is at full bars).

There are some tricks that might make it work. Disabling WiFi and enabling it again, turning plane mode on and off, going to network adapter options and disabling and enabling the adapter, going to Device Manager and disabling and enabling from there. In those cases, when the device's enabled, it'll just connect normally. Sometimes, though, I'll enable the device and it'll tell me there are no connections available, even though I know my ISP is working perfectly fine with full signal (also, generally I can see two of my neighbours' connections, but when it gets stuck like this it doesn't show them either). Sometimes, it'll simply get frozen when I try to disable/enable the device again. In these last two instances, I'm forced to restart/shutdown and restart. In these cases, restart might get frozen as well and I'm forced to do a hardware restart (pressing down the off button and turning it on manually). It's happened to me TWICE so far that even THIS doesn't work (hardware restart). The system gets so stuck that I have to remove the AC adapter and the battery and plug it back in.

These are the only times I have any kinds of issues with my laptop. Nothing else fails. Restart works normally every single time outside of these instances.

I've done everything to try and solve this issue and it just won't stop happening.

I got closer to the router (literally next to it). Nothing. I disabled the ethernet adapter. Nothing. Updated the drivers. Nothing. I completely uninstalled the network adapter and installed the newest drivers manually. Nothing. At that point, I had Windows 7 SP1, so I splurged on Windows 10 and did a completely clean reformatting. Still nothing. I did another reformatting, in case the first one had some sort of failure at any point. Nope. I'm honestly at a loss. It started happening randomly last week.

My first thought was that it was a virus, which is why when the first few actions didn't work, I reformatted my laptop. But I am positive there are no virus or malware now. Upon the second reformatting, I ran a full sweep with ESET and Malwarebytes which turned out 100% safe and have not installed ANYTHING that might even have the slightest hint of corruption.

This is getting so frustrating. Sometimes it can run for hours without interruption and sometimes it gets cut off every couple of minutes. I can't get anything done. I can't rely on it at all.

Is it possible it's a hardware issue? I read that some adapters can't handle WPA2, which is the type of connection I have now, but I've had this connection for months and I didn't have this issue before. Also, we have a very old - also Dell - laptop that connects normally to the same router and connection without dropping signal ever.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom