KB4093112 & Printing

S

SN531

On multiple computers at our office, about two weeks after kb4093112 installed itself, printing to networked HP LaserJet M602 printers and the Microsoft XPS Document Writer started failing. Attempts to print would give an error saying a driver needed to be installed, but the driver wouldn't install successfully. Often, we'd get an "Element not found" error message.

Since Quickbooks uses the XPS driver for some things, particularly sending out pay stubs, we needed to resolve this. I made one attempt to contact MS Support by phone, which ended with me being transferred to the activation department for some reason, so I decided to just figure out what was going on myself. I didn't suspect the kb4093112 update initially, since everything had worked fine for a couple of weeks after it installed. It was, however, just about the only recent change on these computers. So, I uninstalled it on one machine and was able to get things working again, and this solution was rapidly confirmed by removing it from all of the other machines that were having problems.

So, if you're having the same problem, you might want to do the following:

1. Download the wushowhide utility from Microsoft. You'll need this to keep kb4093112 from blithely re-installing itself right after you've gotten everything working again.
  2. Uninstall kb4093112 from the computer and reboot.
  3. Run the wushowhide utility and tell it to hide the kb4093112 update.
  4. Go into the registry, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments and find the affected driver. Mine was under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\HP LaserJet 600 M601 M602 M603 PCL6. Delete or rename this key. (I didn't need to delete the key for the XPS driver, but I did for the HP printers. Your mileage may vary.)
  5. Go into Computer Management and restart the Print Spooler service.
  6. Browse to your network server and double-click the print queue. Windows will try to reinstall the driver. You may get an error the first time. You may get a different error the second time. But the third time, it will work, and you'll be back in business. I don't remember the exact errors I got, and I don't feel like recreating the problem just to write those down. If I waited a little longer after restarting the Print Spooler before reinstalling the drivers, I was less likely to get an error message.
  7. Sing the "Problem Solved" song from Peg+Cat to yourself. Now your user can print again!

I'm sure there are fixes in kb4093112 that are significant and I'm hoping MS will fix this problem, but in the meantime I can't afford to have an update break something as fundamental as printing. I didn't see much of anything on the Internet about this problem, so I'm posting this to help anyone encountering the issue.

Sean

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom