Windows Location off by an Ocean

J

jefferai

Windows 10 constantly detects my location as somewhere in the Netherlands ("within 374 feet"), instead of the east coast of the U.S. It's literally off by an ocean. I'm currently on the Spring 2018 update, but this has been broken since before updating.

I've checked regional and language settings. I've tried restarting the Geolocation Service. I've tried restarting the Windows Time service. I've set a default location via Maps which didn't help -- it appears that it's not that Windows thinks it can't find the location, thus using the default, it really thinks it has my location pegged accurately.

My laptop doesn't have a GPS chip, but multiple different reverse-IP lookups (such as What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and More) show the correct location. Chrome shows my correct location if I look at Google Maps; Edge (because it uses Windows location services) doesn't. (If MS is wondering why people don't switch to Edge...non-working location is certainly one reason I haven't.)

Additionally, if I use automatic time zone, it has me pegged to +1 instead of -5. I can manually set my time zone, but it turns out that Night Light (if set to go Sunset -> Sunrise) won't use your manually-set time zone, but rather always uses the time zone that Windows thinks you're currently in, so that doesn't work at all.

I don't know if it's just "stuck" somehow or if it's misinterpreting data, but I just have no idea how to fix it. I'm aware of FixMyLocation - corrects incorrect default Windows location but would rather get the root of the issue resolved.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom