exit safe mode 'alternate shell'

U

UKballyhoo

I expect some abuse for getting into this condition, but here's where I am, and need to escape from.

Windows 10 Professional 64bit current business release. In msconfig, I set to reboot in 'alternate shell' and now after reboot I cannot escape. The reason: my hotmail/outlook login password is not recognised, so when I try to run msconfig from the command prompt, my password is rejected. I can use it to login to hotmail/outlook (I don't really know the difference) because I just verified this. I do not use this password to authorise login to the PC in question, I use what is called a PIN which is a numeric code. This also does not work, either at the login screen that comes before the command line shell, or when prompted by my attempt ot run msconfig. I use it all the time including today to login to the admin account of PC in question. This is the only admin account.

So neither PIN nor password for the admin account works, either for login or to run msconfig. Therefore I am pretty much stuck with the command line, but I'm no command line expert, I know DOS is no more, so I don't really even know what shell I am in.

My only route in is:

Power down. Start. Bitlocker key accepted.

Microsoft Cave Image login screen (low-res because safe mode): login as user

Command prompt. Windows V10.0.16299.371

C:\windows\system32>

What to do from here?

I had a look for other routes like (Solved) - stuck in alternateshell safe mode « How-To Geek Forums but it is very old, does not work, and this is getting a bit hairy anyway, editing boot.ini in an unknown editor. Any assistance gratefully received! The original problem was not severe, the machine is in ok state otherwise. My only other boot medium is a USB stick downloaded from Dell a couple of months ago but can't see how to boot from this on the f12.

Obviously not a smart position to get into, but it's where I am. Thanks in anticipation.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom