Computer freezes after 2018 April update

D

daydr3am3r

Hi,

I just installed the April update via Windows Updates and now I am unable to use my PC at all.

My disk usage stays on 100% usage all the time, the boot time jumped from under one minute to almost 10 (TEN) minutes, the process list in Task Manager is not updating (I have to manually refresh it) and I am unable to kill any process at all. Also, I was unable to restart the Windows Explorer process when I needed it. It simply kills the process and does not start it again.

Moreover, after I login, I have to stare at a black screen with an empty task bar for a 2 minutes or more and wait for the pined apps to load.

Ctrl + Alt + Delete is not showing up at all, I am unable to restart the PC using Start > Restart (because this make a lot of sense) and the PC freezes if I do anything else when I want to install / update an app.

And if this was not enough, I am unable to turn on my 3rd party firewall at all after installing this update and apps take forever to start and also hang in background when I close them. And since I am unable to kill the process, up goes the memory.

Of course, I tried to revert to the previous version but for some reason, it simply restarted the PC and booted up normally (considering 10 minutes boot time is normal). No luck with System Restore either since ALL my restore points ARE GONE.

For real, did anyone bother to test this?

How do I fix this without reinstalling / reseting my PC?

Continue reading...