Missing Start Menu Tiles?

J

JanA.C

I've been using Win10 for about 2 years, and around a month ago, some pinned tiles on my start menu had disappeared. A few weeks ago, I tried using the built-in Windows Refresh function to try and fix the problem, and the tiles returned with that.

When I opened my laptop today, the tiles didn't disappear but instead it looks as if the shortcuts were broken. I can access some programs just fine if I open them from their respective folders, but it seems windows can't detect them, since I couldn't find them via the search function, nor from programs and features. Oddly enough, they still work if they’re set to open from start-up (Discord).

I can’t open programs installed by installer .exe’s because it seems windows deleted the files or doesn’t recognize their existence (something like that I guess?). Notepad pinned to my start menu disappeared, but I can open it if I search for it, although it appears under commands instead of applications. On the other hand, I can locate and open the programs “installed” by extracting from zipped files like Osu! and PPSSPP. Except for Google Keep and Notepad, all of the missing tiles are installed in my secondary drive.

If it helps, the tiles that disappeared are now (a little consistently) titled "W~[Directory to .exe file]". For example, Osu! in my start menu is now titled "W~D:\Games\Osu!\osu!.exe", Google Keep is “W~_crx_hmjkmjkepdijhoojdojkdfohbdgmmhki” (I’m not kidding on that one). Here's a screenshot of how my start menu looks like now:

The tiles "missing" now were the same as before, the difference being that they disappeared instead of appearing blank like now.

I tried fixing the problem by unhiding the “Programs” folder in Start Menu, but couldn’t try using Windows PowerShell, because when I tried opening it from the “Win + X” menu, it said that “Windows cannot find ‘C:\Users\[blablabla]\Windows PowerShell.lnk”. Hope you can offer a solution other than refreshing windows (which I am reluctant to do again due to the amount of programs I need to reinstall). Thanks for the future help!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom