Microsoft Is Pushing Out Windows 10 Feature Builds Much Too Fast

J

JackPlatt

Guys,

I have no problem with the Windows as a service model concerning the security updates to Windows 10 being pushed out in a timely manner. This is something that is very important for the protection of systems and user identities.

My take is the rapid release of update builds and the fact that there is no way to postpone feature update builds in Windows 10 Home. Yes, you can extend your restart time for updates by a little less than a week on pending restarts. However, Windows 10 Home users should get up to three months to defer feature updates. When some business editions for Windows 10 get up to a year to delay feature updates, and Home Users get five days (at best.) something is wrong. There needs to be more of a delay for feature updates for home users to strike a balance of some kind.

In fact, this started out OK. My two and a half year old Dell PC started on the original release of Windows 10, and than maybe six months later got the Anniversary Update, than three months later the Creators update, or close to those times. I checked the Microsoft update release list and find out that there was an update for my system on build 1709 at this time.

When no notices came about the update after this Patch Tuesday I ran System File Checker thinking that something was wrong and the Windows Update Troubleshooter, Troubleshooter found the pending restart updates, but like SFC, found no errors. So, I am thinking, I am getting the update to 1709. Knowing from the past that Microsoft rolls out updates to the newest computers first. My computer at two years old, is probably still being tested for 1803 compatibility.

Therefore, when I check Windows Update, I was really shocked that build 1803 is sitting in the query waiting for a restart. Why didn't my older computer get the 1709 build from Patch Tuesday first? How could my system be ready for build 1809 in such a short period of time? What happened to the several months of testing check on Feature builds in the past?

Than, on Wednesday I get a blue notice that "Windows has an update for you that may take a little longer than other updates." I pushed the update ahead to Wednesday, because I have heard of problems with this build. It seems like quality of care and testing is being sacrificed to push out new features as fast as possible. The cautionary approach to the Anniversary, Spring, and Fall Creators Update was so much better!

Jack

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom