Windows rearranged after locking the screen

M

Mr Yossu

When I got my current machine, it came with twin AMD FirePro W4100 graphics cards, each of which has 4 mini-DP ports. I bought some adaptors to use my existing cables with the new graphics cards. This worked fine for a while.

However, I've been having an ongoing issue for some time, in that whenever I lock my screen, upon unlocking, Windows would often rearrange one or two of my windows. This almost always happened with Microsoft Visual Studio (which has the main window, and two supporting windows in my personal configuration), and sometimes others. Mainly just VS though.

I was also getting an intermittent warning pop up in the bottom right corner of my main monitor, saying there had been a problem with the connection between the graphics card and the monitor. Thinking that maybe it was the adaptors and/or cables, I bought myself four new cables, each the correct combination for the monitor (eg mini-DP to DP for two of the monitors, mini-DP to DVI for one and mini-DP to VGA for the other).

I got a shot of the message that popped up...

I opened the AMD Radeon Pro and FirePro settings app, but the notification in there didn't show any more than this, so I have no idea where I'm supposed to go for more information!

However, the message claims that the problem was with a connection between the computer and a DP display. Doesn't say which of the two DP displays it was.

However, since putting these on, whenever I lock my screen, Windows rearranges ALL of my windows, some in bizarre positions. It's pretty consistent, in that it always puts VS in the same place, always puts Skype in the same place, etc, it's just that it puts them in places I don't want (like mostly off a monitor, or across two monitors).

For some reason, it never puts any of them on my main monitor, only on the others. However, it moves windows that were previously on the other monitors as well, so it's just as simple as the main monitor or its cable that's the issue.

Anyone any ideas? This is driving me mad.

Thanks

Continue reading...