Fubar laptop/dying hard drive, need to install Windows with new drive

M

Michael_C.

As the subject line says, my brother dropped his laptop a good 3+ feet off of his bed which bent the heck out of one side and seems to have put his hard drive in critical condition with a bleak prognosis. We both have the same model of HP laptop that came with Windows 8 out of the box. I tried to use the recovery disks from my laptop after replacing the hard drive; at first I couldn't even boot from the DVDs but when I did, it said that they weren't compatable. So I put his old hard drive back in and tried to use the Microsoft Recovery Media Creation which failed with a 16GB flash drive and a 256GB hard drive. I can't tell if it's his Hard drive messed up, or the external drives being messed up or too small. So I figured "Hey, there were updates yeah? Lets do those and try again." Now his computer won't turn on, so I try system restore. It takes about 7 to 10 minutes to come up, gives me three drives to restore from, (one blank and two Windows 10 on "drive 4") and when I click on one I have to wait about 15 minutes to find out that the idiot never set up system restore or it was somehow corrupted.

So here's the real question: If I create a windows 10 recovery media from my pc or download the installation media, can I use it on my brother's laptop? I just wasted most of my day off trying to get his pos laptop running and I'm really low on patience right now and don't want to try more stuff only to have it fail on me again.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom