Windows Search Function is Completely Blank

20ugurah

Hello, I was wondering if any of you here would be able to fix a computer issue I've had since the past day regarding my search menu.

Video Showcasing the Issue

As you can see, I can type into the search bar but no text or icons are shown like the search feature normally does. This happened yesterday when I was undervolting my laptop in order to reduce its temps. I undervolted too low and the entire system froze (I believe this is normal when undervolting), forcing me to hard shut down the laptop. Once I logged into my account I opened Throttlestop (undervolting program) again and the computer froze once more. On next boot I edited the Throttlestop settings to prevent any further crashes. I also made sure to do an SFC /scannow test to make sure the operating system did not become corrupt due to the freezes (it was clean) and I noticed this issue when typing in "CMD" and nothing appeared.

Computer Specifications:

- i7 7700HQ

- GTX 1060 with 3gb VRAM

- 16gb DDR4 ram

- Latest version of Windows

- Laptop model is ASUS GL502VMZ with latest BIOS (Version 301)

- Windows 10 Pro OS Build 17134.81

So far I have tried:

- Reinstalling Cortana using Powershell in admin mode

- Closing and reopening the Windows Explorer task

- Stopping and restarting the Windows Start Menu Service

- Ending the Cortana task from the task manager

- Reinstalling Windows from the MediaCreationTool (tool would refuse to work stating "The language or edition of the version of windows is not supported by this tool")

- Signing out and signing back in

- Using the Windows troubleshooting function

- Deleting and rebuilding the Windows Search Index

- ReREGISTERing Cortana using Powershell in admin mode

- Going over any Microsoft settings that may have caused the issue

- Updating Windows, uninstalling the update, and reinstalling it

- SFC /scannow (No issues found)

- DISM scan and repair (the repair and scan process are both extremely fast, scan is almost instant with no issues found and repair finishes in 4-5 minutes)

Other Observations:

- This issue is User specific, search does not work on my account yet it works on every other user account on the same device.

- Nothing else seems to be affected by the undervolting crash (I will update if more issues occur)

- Upon booting up in one instance I received the error from Runtime Broker: "The group or resource is not in the correct state"

- Everything seems to be fine in Event Viewer

- In Windows Defender, under "Device Performance and Health" it says the following:

It doesn't tell me which app is not working and why it is not working but I suspect that it is related to Cortana/the start menu. The troubleshooter doesn't help fix the issue either.

Windows Defender Image

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do not want to "reset" Windows, causing to lose all of my data, if there is a fix or workaround, such as duplicating my user data and information to a new account, reinstalling Windows, etc, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom