CD\DVD Rom Drive not recognized after windows update

L

LAMONTWEBB

I just bought a computer from HP and they said to update it with Windows Update. So I did. I also had to add programs from my previous HP Computer (desktop) and that was hard enough but at least most of it was online. Then, I needed to run a program with a CD and the drive disappeared on my Device Manager, it exists on "hidden programs" there with a driver from 2006 but is not functional. So, I went to Windows Update to see if there was anything there I could do and it seems that my problem is prominent with the Update offered by Windows. I actually got a support representative from HP that seemed to have no idea about what to do. He downloaded "VLC media player" because my Media Player would not function and after more than 2 hours of this and that he says that I must have damaged the physically damaged the Rom Drive. So now they tell me that I have to give the computer back to them so they can erase all my work and that I have to delete everything I managed to download because they do not want to be responsible if they uncover a password and one of their people use it fraudulently. HELP! The "tech" that I had did everything but hold a gun to my head to harass me when he said that I must have damaged the computer. Truth be told.....@#$%! Can't take it anybody near me but they will send UPS to pick it up and I better comply or else they will ship it back to me not fixed.

Anyone out there know about the CD Rom/DVD drive not working after Microsoft Update before they send UPS and I have to erase all my work???

Continue reading...