Why is it that users aren't logged off, even when they choose to log off?

D

Doctor-Who

Recently I've begun to notice something odd about Windows 10. I've got a desktop PC with Windows 10 (with the April 2018 Update). I've set up profiles for all my family members. Two of my daughters and I tend to be the ones who use it the most. Recently, I found one of my daughters still logged in. This was after I logged in to do work, then I go to log off and I saw that she was still logged on. I don't like this and ask that all my family members log off whenever they're done. Of course I do the same thing. But there's my daughter, logged in. I had her log in, so she could log off. However, she said something about some program, or maybe multiple programs, that were doing something weird, but it seemed to be preventing her from fully logging off. (She wasn't clear, brought up a ton of other stuff which was irrelevant, etc. I wasn't sure what was going on.)

Anyway, last night I got on and did several different things, in Outlook and Microsoft To-Do. Plus I had Microsoft Edge up. At the end of the evening, I shut down all of the programs I had opened. Then I logged off. I was certain I had logged off.

This morning I got up earlier than expected. So I thought I'd check on the power options within Windows to see what might be going on. I logged into my daughter's account to find that out. Couldn't see anything amiss, so then I went to log off. Then I saw that I was still logged in from last night?! How is this possible? I know I closed all programs and logged myself off. Why didn't Windows log me off? (Got to talk to my daughter about this and say that I'm seeing the same behavior with my own account.)

My daughter is in the habit of leaving Microsoft Edge up and running when she logs off, because she wants to retain all of the tabs open where she left them. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Since I didn't have anything running when I logged off last night, I doubt it.

Bottom line, why is it that when people log off Windows that apparently they are not really logging off Windows?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom