Conflicting instructions re: checking for "Microsoft Malware Protection Engine deployment information"

J

JohnS0603

Help! I'm trying to determine how critical it is to install 3 Windows Updates. I have waded through a lot of Microsoft online verbiage, and some of it doesn't make sense to me.

While navigating to determine whether I have a valid version of Windows Defender and MS Security Essentials, I wandered into this site:

Microsoft Malware Protection Engine deployment information

[1]

Now, I'm finding instructions to verify my installed Windows Defender ... Found this, deep into the referenced web page:

To verify that the update was applied to an affected system, follow these steps:

1. Click Help, and then click About Windows Defender.

I have no clue where to find a help page which has a control marked "About Windows Defender".

[2]

The larger question is, do I have to go through all of this -- because my only immediate objective is determining whether I need to enter the following three patches which MS Windows Update has identified for me:

• KB4099633 (2018-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, ...... on Windows 7 and ... for x64)
  • KB4103718 (2018-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems)
  • KB8890830 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - May 2018 )

Many thanks!

JohnS0603

My PC is connected through Verizon FiOS, which mandates that we use Verizon Internet Security Suite MultiDevice (viz., McAfee product).

Anti-Virus: The McAfee VirusScan is on; I also still use the free Malwarebytes app.

Firewall: Windows Firewall is turned off, but the McAfee firewall is on.

Anti-Spyware: Microsoft Windows Defender is normally turned off. Malwarebytes and McAfee VirusScan are both on.

My configuration:

Acer Aspire 5532 Laptop
AMD Athlon 64-bit TF-20 (1.6GHz) processor
3.0Gb RAM
160Gb Hard Drive
ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics Adapter
MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter
Inputs: Touchpad; Wireless Mouse; standard Acer keyboard
Browsers: Google Chrome 67.0.... | Mozilla Firefox 59... | IE 11​

Continue reading...

Back