270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" in device manager

A

AnthonyMurawski

Hello,

My questions: Since I have 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" listed under device manager, would that impact my system performance adversely? If so, what can I do about it?

I am running Windows 7 Professional (SP 1) on an HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF computer, which has 1.5 TB of physical memory and 32 GB of RAM (I found the computer refurbished for $425.00 in 2016, when it was 1.5 years old. I purchased 32 GB of RAM for $183.00 and installed it myself. The computer already had an upgraded motherboard. I am on Social Security Disability, and have to live off of $319.00 per week -- so I had never owned a computer that was less than two years old before I found this one, although I was 51 years old when I bought it. (I don't care whether my paltry disability income or age are public information).

When I just checked device manager, I found 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" listed under "Storage volume shadow copies." I only have seven restore points in System Restore.

None of those 270 instances are grayed out.

Here are a few details about some of the software and hardware I use that are not typically found on most computers...

I have eight external drives connected to my computer. I also have two other computers--both of which are nine year old laptops--as part of a three-computer home network. I use a free software program called Synergy that enables me to use one mouse and one keyboard for all three computers (e.g., copying and pasting across screens, etc.).

I use X1 Search Premium instead of Windows Search because X1 has the ability to perform keyword proximity searches of all document types and of my Outlook email. And I have it set to index only when I am not actively using my computer. So I disabled Windows Search, because it uses so much memory while indexing in the background, and cannot provide me with comparable search results to those I get using X1 Search. (With X1 Search, I can search for a keyword within any number of words I want from another keyword, instead of using the AND operator, which provides search results that include documents where one search term is 50 pages away from the other search term).

I can't think of anything else on my computer that isn't commonly used. Among other things, I have Microsoft Office Pro 2010. I use Malwarebytes Pro, SuperAntispyware Pro, and Avast Premier. I do not get conflicts between any of these three antivirus/anti-malware programs because I have created exceptions in Malwarebytes for the other two programs, exceptions in Avast for the other two programs, etc. I always eliminate tracking cookies by running a quick scan with SuperAntispyware Pro before opening the Chrome browser.

I uninstalled my backup program and am about to reinstall it to back up my data onto multiple external drives. I have far too much data to back up onto a cloud, since I am backing up about 250 GB of data.

Since I can barely pay my utilities, it's simply impossible for me to pay someone for computer assistance.

It seems to me that 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" in device manager is excessive, and might impair functionality. I looked at multiple postings concerning a high number of instances of Generic volume shadow copy, and they discuss eliminating system restore points. But I only have seven restore points from 5/25/2018 to 6/13/2018 (I already checked "Show more restore points"):
6/13/2018 Windows Update / Type: Critical Update
6/12/2018 Revo Uninstaller-created restore point / Type: Program Uninstalled
6/10/2018 Automatic Restore Point / Type: System
6/2/2018 Revo Uninstaller-created restore point / Type: Program Uninstalled (second program uninstalled)
6/2/2018 Revo Uninstaller-created restore point / Type: Program Uninstalled
5/27/2018 Installed Pulse Application Launcher / Type: Program Install (full-tunnel VPN) (first attempt failed, so I had to try again, and succeeded)
5/27/2018 Installed Pulse Application Launcher / Type: Program Install (full-tunnel VPN)
5/25/2018 Automatic Restore Point / Type: System

No harm in restating my two questions... Since I have 270 instances of "Generic volume shadow copy" listed under device manager, would that impact my system performance adversely? If so, what can I do about it?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS!

Anthony

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom