Various repeated BSoD errors. 60 seconds of Windows 10 functionality before full crashes.

A

Alex60134

A few days ago i was operating on my PC as normal. In the middle of a session in which my PC had been operating for about 30-40 minutes prior, I experience a blue screen error listing

"CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" as the stopcode.

I've also seen the following blue screen stopcodes in successive failures:

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

citing win32kfull.sys as "what failed"

"KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE"

"SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION"

Since then, I haven't been able to get my PC to run for segments longer than about 1-2 minutes at most before i experience a blue screen error that crashes the system. For this reason, I have almost no access to anything that would allow me to diagnose the issue or solve it for that matter (non enough time to install or check drivers). The one thing i was able to do is format my hard drive through the automatic repair tool that i was prompted into after multiple crashes. Upon selecting a partial clear of my hard drive, I still experience the same errors after the reset. All the hardware in it has been unchanged for about 2.5-3 years with no errors or functional issues like this prior.

My suspicion is that the recent Windows update i did (June 12th according to the attempts i had at system restoration) was corrupted during installation but I thought the reset of the hard drive would start me with a fresh windows install and not reuse the data corrupted in the download.

Because of this, I started to suspect hardware issues and reseated the processor (I thoroughly cleaned old thermal paste with 90% alcohol and let the processor and heatsink sit for 24 hours before reapplying paste and reseating. I also tested each stick of RAM by itself, then each stick in an alternate slot. I streamlined down to on-board video and 1 video display (completely removed the video card and disconnected 2nd monitor) with the suspicion that the power supply had simply lost strength over time even though it was still under the same power load as it had been for years. Despite all of these attempts I experience the same error.

The issue I'm running into now is that the attempted format has led to me being unable to run for a long enough sequence to even boot any functional form of windows, as it may have crashed during installation (i wasn't watching it through the entire reset) and now needs several minutes to re-establish the installation process. Unfortunately it doesn't get several minutes before it crashes. I've tried booting from disc (it's a windows 8 disc since i upgraded to 10 electronically) and it occasionally gives me brief automatic repair boot tool access but then this access is relatively non-functional as I'm told windows is locked. Once unlocking it using a brief period of functionality in the auto repair tool and typing some simple cmdprompt tasks, I was able to get the "full reset" but was still experiencing the same frequent errors. I tried to do another reset and I'm now back to square 1 where it tries to reestablish the install but hasn't enough time before crashing. In a couple attempts before work this morning I was unable to get to any screen that allowed me to do any investigation whatsoever, only a windows load screen that would run briefly before inevitably failing to load.

At this point, it seems like my best bet would probably be plugging my windows ssd into a computer with a functional windows copy, hard formatting the drive and starting over from square 1 via my old windows 8 disk, at which point I'd have a pretty obscene amount of updates and installs to do before getting back to a non-corrupted windows 10 but at this point I feel fairly confident that it isn't hardware and that any sort of "reset" i do will not completely wipe the drive and rid me of the errors I'm getting. Would it be safe to add my ssd to someone else's machine without causing their machine any issues? At this point i feel like it couldn't be a virus or anything that would spread, so that should be ok to try right?

Continue reading...