Windows 10 April Update (1803) - WHY? It's so FLIPPING ANNOYING! (A Rant for those who care!)

P

PteJack

Ok, we all understand the need to do updates and upgrades (security concerns, big fixes, what not else, this is a operating system prone to vulnerabilities, security issues, attacks and easily hacked. However, WHO is actually testing these updates and upgrades before Microsoft makes a decision to release?

My God, I am SO _______ frustrated with Windows 10 and wish I had never upgraded from XP (or DOS 6.3). At least with those 2 products one could actually investigate and fix problems. We had control over our systems!

Microsoft states, that their intent with Windows 10 is to, make things easier for the common user, that the Operating System is intuitive, It can fix itself, when in fact with each new release we lose more and more control of our systems, they take away functionality, move or delete troubleshooting tools, updates/upgrades break or remove things we've come to rely on and we have NO idea or control of what information is being pulled from our systems, recorded and sent back to the Masters (or Big Brother!)

Media Center is a fine example of removed tools. I believe this function disappeared in 8.1 at some point, totally isolating my Xbox 360 from my home network.

Homegroup is another perfect example of this. I struggled with trying to set up my home network starting with Windows 7 using advanced sharing options, permissions and security options. It took me from Windows 7 through 8, 8.1, into windows 10 (1506 and 1709) to finally get all my computers to finally talk to one another consistently. Homegroup became a useful tool. Out comes 1803 and poof... Now none of my systems are talking with one another again. Homegroup has been retired and no longer shipped with Windows.

Once again, none of my computer nor my NAS are visible as storage or computer devices (but I can still see them ALL as Media Devices), and here we go again!!!

Since installing the upgrade to 1803, programs that are suppose to run at start up, don't. Programs that have nothing to do with the startup process, do… I don't know how many times now I've pressed the power switch, logged into my local account and find Microsoft EDGE opened and sitting there on the BING website waiting for me to use it. I don't even have EDGE set up as my default web browser. It's unreliable, and most of the web apps I use don't support it (my brand new D-Link ac1900 router's GUI is one of them). IE11 is my default browser and from what I understand, it's going to be taken away at some point.

Ok, I understand that Windows 10 is chalk full of troubleshooting tools, (Network, Network Adapters, Internet, Devices, Shared Folders, Etc...) Yes this is true, however, run one of these things and it comes back with "Troubleshooting couldn't identify a problem" or, it discovers a problem, reports it as "Fixed", but when you restart the system it is supposedly "fixed" on, the problem persists OR, the troubleshooter reports "Detected" and click on Publisher or Detection Details, neither provide discernable information on how to repair the problem.

So, you come here, ask a question. What you get is Canned, Generic response (usually the old Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth response) from a "Microsoft Engineer" then suggests you jump through a series of steps that either you've already completed prior to asking the question or has absolutely nothing to do with the problem you're asking the question about.

I have other issues and I have been trying to assist others around the world having issues with other certain programs since the upgrade to 1803. Also, looking at the complaints and comments here since the roll out, one has to ask, "Why does Microsoft release something that totally screws up systems prior to fixing them. Surely, they must know that there are problems before the release from their Beta Testers (or what they call the Windows Insider Program participants). When it comes to Updates, it almost seems like Microsoft has a "Let's punch the release button and see how badly we can screw up the World.", type attitude. To top this off, one installs an upgrade like this only to find that there are a TON of subsequent updates waiting in the wings after the reboot.

If other OS's would run my library of programs without problems, I would seriously consider switching.

If you've made it this far through my rant, thank you for reading and I appreciate your attention. Please respond and add your rebuttal to my opinions or express your own frustration with this product and keep the discussion going.

Maybe, just maybe, if enough contribute, someone in this company with a little bit of pull might take notice of the level of frustration there is with this product and do something about it. (But I doubt it.)

Now back to getting my network working again. And thanks for letting me get this off my chest so I can continue my task.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom