2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4284819) stuck at waiting for restart

D

DeanPowell1

Hi:

We have a new HP 15 inch laptop BS-0XX with Intel Core i5-7200 CPU. Every time I reboot, the hard drive thrashes for some time and when I look at Windows Update, the above-mentioned cumulative update tells me the status is "Awaiting Restart." When I hit the "Restart Now" button I immediately get the message: "We're having trouble restarting to finish the install. Try again in a little while. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0x80070005)."

I logged in as an administrative user!

I have tried:

disabling all background apps

virus scan (comes back clean every time)

Installing the update manually (failed)

checking my registry for flaws and errors (no problems reported)

running the troubleshooter and it fixed some alleged errors with the update database(?)

setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule -> start to 2

manually restarting and shutdown / turn on my pc

DISM.exe/Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth cmd command (no errors)

sfc/scannow cmd command (no errors)

Updating as many of the device drivers as I can

None of these were done or listed in any particular order. This is a brand new laptop (just a couple of weeks old). Windows update KB4056254 says it was updated and successfully installed just today, so it appears it's just a problem with this update.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Dean Powell

Edmonton, Canada

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom