Intel Q77 USB 3 issues with Microsoft 4/10/2018 update.

B

BHF54

Need to report a bug in the 4/10/2018 Microsoft driver implementation of the Intel USB 3.0 controller for the Intel 7 series Q77 chipset.
Assuming the update got on my machine with the latest windows updates. Old drivers did NOT experience this problem. There is no way to roll back the driver either for this device.

Provider: Microsoft
Date: 4/10/2018
Version: 10.0.17134.1

The latest MS version of this Intel USB 3 driver is causing USB 3.0 hard drives to drop out, but not fully disconnect on an HP 8300 PC which uses the Intel Q77 chipset. Hard disk activity comes to a halt, and practically freezes the pc to a point where the PC thinks the hard disk, has bad sectors. The PC will freeze intermittently for 60 seconds or more.

Even the previous version of the Intel drivers, have had issues using full USB 3.0 speed. There are times this PC would only operate at USB 2.0 speed of 40MB/sec or less on the USB3 ports. I have read in the past this is due to a port monitoring issue within the driver code, but I am no programmer. I do know these drivers for this chipset- work very far from spectacular.

Please note: this is not a hardware issue with a hard drive issue itself. This has happened with multiple USB 3.0 hard drives that are known to be working fine on another pc using a different chipset. The issue is related- specifically to this Intel chipset + MS driver for it.

Intel no longer makes drivers for their own chip products. We're basically stuck with the MS version of the USB 3.0 driver for the Intel Q77 chipset, as no Win 10 drivers were ever made for that chipset by Intel.

Please fix the issue, I don't want to buy extra hardware just to remedy hard drive performance issues created by buggy MS drivers.

Thanks for your help.

Note the horrible 0.0 peaks in the image, this is all because of a bad MS driver.

2b116d25-e090-4257-97da-e4ac45a64bee?upload=true.jpg

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom