PC turns off during update and won't restart + freezing with "File Picker UI Host" message

D

DS_CAN

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge. For more than a year, I've been having an issue with my computer shutting down overnight, and I have to unplug the computer, wait a few seconds and re-plug it, and then press the ON button two or three times before the computer will turn back on. This happens approx. 4-6 times per month on average, sometimes more, and seems to coincide with the timing of Microsoft updates that are running automatically. My PC manufacturer recommends that I reinstall the Windows 10 operating system … I'd prefer to avoid this as it would require a huge effort of my part to backup, reinstall, reset and restore everything.

Then, about a month ago, I started having a new issue - when I try to download/save attachments from my online banking website or attach/save documents in email (Gmail), I get the "File Picker UI Host" error message and my computer freezes … I have to use Task Manager to close Edge (or Chrome or Internet Explorer) and then restart them. This usually happens repeatedly during a session and won't stop until I reboot.

My PC manufacturer ran diagnostics remotely 4 months ago and found no issues. I also had Best Buy come to my house last week to run full hardware and software diagnostics … both came up clean. However, these issues are still continuing …

This morning I followed the instructions posted in the Community to run a System File Check as an administrator (sfc /verifyonly) and received the following message: "Windows did not find any integrity violations"

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome, please note that I am not technology-savvy …

Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...