Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase

• Thread starter OverLordGoldDragon
  • Start date
O

OverLordGoldDragon

Greetings,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS, purchased in a 'Like New' condition off Amazon ~a week ago. Since day one, I've encountered minor problems ranging from desktop right-click taking an eternity to slight performance issues such as 'microstuttering' in gaming and scrolling through sites. The next day I installed the first game, Depth - which soon crashed to restart (CTR'd). Tried a far less intensive game, No More Room in Hell - ran fine for two days, then CTR'd also. The crash process is always the same: the game freezes for a few seconds, then the PC reboots.

Today, most Windows applications failed to run at all - starting with Microsoft Edge which got stuck on a blank screen and was unclickable, then other apps that either failed to load at all or did not function (clicking options did nothing, couldn't type in boxes). Games still worked, however - but also CTR'd. ASUS support directed toward a Windows Refresh, which I've done - and things appear to be working fine now (except for games, which I haven't tested yet). Additional info

Is all of this indicative of an unhealthy system? Even if I don't see problems further a while down, I have a reason for concern: I haven't done anything* to cause such performance failures, and I don't see why a new laptop would break on its own (and so soon) this way. Should I consider returning the laptop?

* - the only cause I can think of would be undervolting, which I executed following this guide using Intel XTU, offsetting to -0.090V and running a successful 30-min CPU stress test. The problem, however, persisted even after I undid the voltage offset and reset it to zero.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom