Kingston HyperX Cloud Headphones no longer work in Windows 10 after last update

K

Keaweone K.

I have a self-built computer which, among other things, uses a Gigabyte Z170X - Gaming 7 motherboard which incorporates a Creative Sound Blaster Recon 3Di chip for onboard sound. My headphones are plug-and-play and do not require drivers nor are they recognized in Windows. This was also true in Windows 7 in which they worked perfectly fine along with my speakers. I upgraded to Windows 10 on May 15th of this year and currently have Version 1803, Build 17134.112. Windows reports I am up to date as of yesterday with all patches.

After the last update my headphones simply stopped working. I checked the sound driver and it was for Windows 7, so I went to Creative's site and downloaded a newer version for Windows 10 and installed it. Still no sound from my headphones. I've tried plugging them into the front 3.5mm jacks and the ones on the "soundcard" in the back of the computer - no sound.

I ran the Windows troubleshooter for Playing Audio and it gives me a list of devices to troubleshoot; but of course, my headphones aren't listed because they require no driver. I doublechecked Creative's site for a newer sound driver and did indeed find one, so I uninstalled the old driver via Device Manager and installed the newer driver. Speakers still work flawlessly, no sound from headphones. I ensured they were not on mute, played with the volume knob on the headphones, no sound. I doublechecked to ensure the plugs were in the correct jacks and even tried switching them just in case - no sound. When they used to work, the speakers automatically cut off whenever I plugged them in; but now the speakers will continue to play.

I can't set my headphones as a default device because they're not recognized as a device by Windows. I have spoken with Kingston support and they have assured me this is normal as it's a plug-and-play device and not one which requires drivers. There is a list of 8 devices under Sound>Playback which include my monitor, 5 instances of "Digital Display Audio - AMD High Definition Audio Device" "Not plugged in", my speakers which are listed as Sound Blaster Recon 3Di and are the default device and SPDIF-Out also listed as SB Recon 3Di and "Ready".

Following this MS Support article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026994/windows-fix-sound-problems I checked to ensure audio enhancements were disabled. There is no "Enhancements tab", but I did find Signal Enhancements on the Advanced tab and the box to "Enable audion enhancements" was already clear. Lastly, again following the above MS Support article, there is no need for me to try a different audio format for my default device as, again, my speakers work flawlessly.

Continue reading...