Having some DNS problems with Server 2012

X

xSlanterX

A couple years ago I was hired to administer a location with a network of about 50 computers and three servers. One is a Exchange server/DNS, one is a file server/dhcp and one linked to financial software. This whole network was kinda finagled over the past 20 years by a few guys and i'm on the tail end of it. Network principles are probably where I need to focus the most of my brushing up, but I generally do alright, generally my job is mostly troubleshooting computer issues.

Well, about six months ago we started having problems with DNS resolution. All the computer have a reference to the exchange/DNS server as their primary DNS(if the IP of the exchange server isn't the first DNS reference outlook won't connect to the exchange server, I learned) We have a few outlying areas that are using VPNs to connect to the file server and exchange server. Before this started we had some problems with the VPNs losing connectivity and my boss wanted me to make is so that the outlying centers could still access the internet on their web browsers if the VPN was down so I added secondary and tertiary DNS servers in the form of ISP provided DNS addresses. This worked, but shortly afterwards we started having DNS problems... so I took out all the outside DNS references, thinking maybe that had caused the problem, but it didn't resolve the problem.

So what's happening is that frequently i'll try to bring up web sites and it'll sit at "resolving host" for a while, then i'll get an error like "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG" " or "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" but then the page will either come up shortly after giving me that error, or if i press the "refresh" button the web site will appear. I've been messing with "forwarders" and "root hints" on the DNS server to try to resolve this, but nothing has improved.

If anyone has any flashes of insight i'd appreciate it.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom