Windows reports varying numbers of files and folders in folder properties

M

mgreen10

I have noticed that if I right-click on a folder in File Explorer and select Properties in the pop-up context menu, the number of files and folders reported may be different than if I go into the folder, select everything, and then right-click and select Properties.

For example, TopFolder (which is actually a subfolder) reports 223 files and 2 folders when I right-click on it in File Explorer. If I enter TopFolder in File Explorer, press Ctrl-A to select everything, then right-click and select Properties, File Explorer reports 235 files and 2 folders. Here are the number of files reported by File Explorer in each folder when I check their Properties individually. I got these numbers by entering each of the three folders, selecting all of the files (no folders), then right-clicking on the selected group and selecting Properties.

TopFolder - 56 files (also has 2 subfolders)

SubFolder1 - 167 files (has no subfolders)

SubFolder2 - 12 files (has no subfolders)

Total: 235 files, but Windows reports 223 files in TopFolder's Properties (which includes its two subfolders).

At first I thought the difference might be due to hidden and/or system files but I configured File Explorer to show all hidden and system files and none appeared in these three folders.

This all started because I wanted to compare the number of files and folders on my local drive to my external USB backup drive after doing a backup. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be possible because Windows 10 is reporting the numbers differently depending on where (at what level in the directory structure) I select files and folders before viewing their properties. I should note that the file/folder counts agree for most folders. Only a limited number differ between the two drives.

How can I consistently get the correct number of files/folders in any folder and all its subfolders?

Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom