Automatic wiping out of IP configuration and disabling of DHCP while switching back and forth between broadband WiFi and mobile phone hotspot connecti

B

Bibasu Ijam

All my three computers - 1 desktop and 2 laptops - run on the latest and updated version of Windows 10 (as on 26-Jul-2018) and share the same broadband line via a WiFi router. The issue that i'm describing below is common to all the machines and i guess the issue could be a mix-up of two or more separate issues.

Firstly, the broadband connection in all my machines CAN'T "Obtain an IP address automatically" and so can't access the internet although all the machines can establish a connection with the WiFi router. This, i guess is the principle issue related to Windows 10. Nevertheless, i CAN access the internet by "manually" entering the IP configuration in the "General" tab of TCP/IPv4's (WiFi) Properties window. As long as i remain on the broadband WiFi connection, i face no issues in accessing the net.

Problem starts every time i switch to one of the hotspots started from any of the several mobile phones, including from an iPhone. Again all the machines do establish wireless connection with the mobile hotspot but cannot access the net. So every time i run the Windows Network Diagnostics tool (WNDT), i get the same report viz. the DHCP is disabled which gets successfully enabled when i choose to "fix the problem as administrator" from the option prompted by WNDT. Thereafter as long as i remain on the mobile hotspot, (again) i face no issues in accessing the net.

But again problem starts every time i want to switch/connect back to broadband from mobile phone hotspot viz. my machines cannot "automatically" access the net although they establish wireless connection with the broadband WiFi router. On running the WNDT, i always get the same message which says that the connection does not have a valid IP address. So every time what i'm compelled to do is this: Go to Control Panel> Open Network and Sharing Center> Click on my Broadband connection name (in blue hypertext) near "Connections:" which takes me to Wi-Fi Status window> click on Properties tab under Activity section> On the Wi-Fi Properties window that comes up, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)> Properties> General> Click the radio button for "Use the following IP address" and enter the IP configurations manually. (Here, as soon as i chose the aforementioned radio button, the other radio button for "Use the following DNS server addresses" on the lower section gets automatically selected so i make manual entries there too> OK. Then the yellow exclamation mark on the WiFi icon on the system tray immediately vanishes thereby indicating successful access to the internet.

I want to know how to avoid the repetitive, tedious and time taking manual procedures as explained above and want the internet connection to establish automatically every time i switch back and forth between broadband WiFi connection and mobile hotspot without having to run the WNDT or manually entering the IP configuration.

Thank you in advance.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom