After recent driver and window updates, my browsers keep losing the ability to "see" the internet connection. Freezing up as well.

S

SamanthaBanner

Microsoft Community Post​

Hi,

I dug through the existing posts and couldn't find a topic that matched my issue exactly, or the ones that did were older/ several updates ago.

Recently I have noticed this PC freezes, particularly when using Chrome. It is an older PC, but its maintained well, and works well typically. It isn't that the PC is becoming bogged down, and I don't think the issue is Chrome either. I have everything in the startup process disabled, except for what is needed. I don’t have any questionable software. I run AVG Internet Security Suite, and AVG PC Tune-up. I did notice that Chrome tends to open several windows at a time? Maybe it’s a window per tab? It seems to use a lot of memory to run. I don't know if that's an issue, or if that is just how Chrome operates. I stupidly did a few different things that could've caused the issue on the same day. I was in the mood to clean and update, but I should've monitored it more closely and I wouldn’t be in this predicament. This is what was done:

• Since Installed Firefox (Because of Chrome being slow, and I still don’t totally trust Edge… I feel like it is too closely related to internet explorer. Sorry Microsoft, maybe in time I’ll warm up to it)

• Installed the pending windows update (KB4338819)

• Installed Intel's Driver updater tool (I got tired of checking them one by one)
  • Installed HP Support Assistant (usually this would be on an HP Desktop, When Windows 10 first launched, it auto updated over top of my windows 7. I was irate yes, not just because of the update but also because it assassinated by hard drive. I installed another hard drive just about three months ago, so no software was preloaded, and I am in the process of recovering my old hard drive…grrr)

• Installed Hp hardware diagnostic tool

I noticed that in addition to the freezing and lag, I keep losing internet connection. I only lose internet within the browsers though? Everything else works, and all other devices in the house work. I have now tried Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge, and safari when this happens, and they all have the same exact response… a page that says “DNS FAILURE” or something like “NO INTERNET” “This website is not available” etc.

I noticed that when I open the adapter settings/properties, the IPV4 and IPV6 alternate between “connected” and “no internet.” So, when one switches to connected, the other switches to no internet and it goes back and forth.

It seems to work fine right after I restart the PC, and until I close a browser. When it’s working, the adapter settings say “internet” next to both IPV4 and IPV6.

***While I was typing this, automatic update cut me off. It installed update: 2018-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4340917). I’m not sure that it matters but I am also enrolled in the Windows Insider program, for Drivers, Patches and Fixes only. The Drivers section says that the only recent updates were for Canon Printers, but I updated the Realtek drivers for sound and the chipset, outside of Windows update on the same day.

So far I have gone through every setting possible in the internet settings/adapter settings, I triple checked the settings within the router. I also reset the settings in all my AVG software in case it was blocking any sort of connections. I disabled windows firewall for a few minutes to see if that was the issue, and it isn’t.

Here is my system info if needed: also the system management page created this log, but i don’t know what a lot of these error reports mean at the bottom:

System Information report written at.pdf

(its saved to OneDrive)

Any ideas? Or known issues I missed?

Idk if its the windows update. The laptop i have has the same update build installed but no issues.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom