Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

G

gritpype

I looked through all the comments available here as of 11 August 2018 and googled these issues also and could not find these simple fixes which I stumbled upon by trial and error:

To get rid of the two black borders on the left and right sides of your Desktop display:

Go to Control Panel - Appearance and Personalisation - Taskbar & Navigation - Background - Choose a Fit - Change 'FIT' to 'STRETCH.'

If you find that your Desktop Icons are still half-visible only at the edges of the screen (left side) and at the task bar (bottom) this can be corrected by Accessing your Monitor's Menu (use the remote or one of the buttons at the side of the monitor) - Choose Picture - change Aspect Ratio from 16:9 to Just Scan (my monitor is an LG 22" HD PC/TV LCD with native resolution of 1980 x 1080 (1080p) and a refresh rate of 60Hz. My Graphics Card is GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

The problem with my Desktop display occurred after exiting my DRM-free disc version of the game "Monochroma" in Steam, after I had been prompted to change to 'Big Picture' mode to facilitate better controller use (This did not have a positive effect on my X-Box 360 controller at all. I do not have a Steam controller which the prompt seemed aimed at when I looked at it again - so I will avoid doing this next time).

Changing the resolution back and forth had no effect on resolving these problems. One suggestion I read here was to rename the WindowsApp folder to Windows App.old. Fortunately, my computer would not let me do this even though, when I checked, I still had Administrator privileges (as I am the sole user of my PC). Going into to safe mode, and updating drivers, and all the other complicated stuff was too off-putting for me to try so my advice is please try the above first. Saying this, it still took me a couple of hours of messing around before I found these solutions (I am not a techie by any means).

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom