Windows long file name or path name has failed in the new windows

M

MichaelLowe1

I have a windows 10 on my older computer and it has a group policy program that allowed me to set up windows 10 to allow for long file names/path names and I have no issues because the limit is no longer there. I bought a new PC with windows 10 and the group policy and registry modification no longer is there (group policy app) and no longer allows for long file names/path names which is not acceptable. My work needs to have directories/folders several layers deep and windows no long has the fix to change your windows system and explorer to allow for this to happen. There is no solution posted yet that solves this issue. There are lots of complaints about it though. I can delete files/folders ok by changing where the files are located but that is not the solution needed by myself or many others. We need to be able to allow for long file names/path names! My old PC with window 10 (newer installs make a mess out of it and had to take them off as they are not good upgrades. Group Policy app in later upgrades of the windows 10 series which made it easy to allow for long file/path names no longer is on windows 10.

$1300 for a pc with windows now is a bad investment - I hate mac but windows continues to fail as to being my favorite system.

My and many others need is how can we modify the registry or get the group policy to do it to allow for long file/path names and not be restricted to the very small limits. If anyone has an answer on how to do this, then It would make life easier. Work around answers for copying files closer to the root part of the drive are not valid answers. I found this article but have not used it as too many other suggestions have been posted and they wasted our time fixing this issue. Here is that articles summary which is what our needs are:

In the past the maximum supported file length was 260 characters (256 usable after the drive characters and termination character). In Windows 10 long file name support can be enabled which allows file names up to 32,767 characters (although you lose a few characters for mandatory characters that are part of the name). To enable this perform the following:

That article link is:
Enable long file name support in Windows 10

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom