When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not listed as startup items in Windows 10 task manager

D

DBaker1972

Hi.

A few days ago I noticed something I've never seen before in my Windows 10 system: There are a few apps that start at startup that (a) I did not set to start up, (b) never started up before, and (c) do not appear in the list of "Startup" items within the Windows Task Manager. I'll give three examples:

(1) Every time I boot up (or reboot) my PC is one particular text file (for which there is a link on my desktop, if that's of any relevance).

(2) Only starting today (but not starting at boot-up yesterday) is Microsoft Edge.

(3) An old app that I use to backup files called "CopyTo". It's vintage (maybe 10 years old), but in general it appears to function fine, and I use it every day to back up my files from my primary drive to another drive. (It may be irrelevant, but just in case: CopyTo is a free file/folder comparison program that can be configured to compare folder A on drive X to folder A on drive Y and tell you which files or folders have changed, then giving you the option of copying the revised files from drive X to drive Y.)

Anyone have any idea (1) why these particular things would open at startup, (2) what, if anything, I can do to stop this behavior?

Weird, huh?

Hopefully,

David

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom