Installed Win 10 1803 over Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 - Network subsystem doesn't work - roll back to Win 7 and it works

R

Rafisher1

Installed Win 10 1803 over Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 - Network subsystem doesn't work.

It is the same issue I had with Win 7 a few days ago and I had to copy my recent OS backup over the internal OS to fix it.

From all the work I did I know it is not the NIC, NIC drivers, Network Reset didn't work, and the Network settings are all good.

When I disable the Local Area Connection in Network Connections, wait a bit, and Enable it, it appears it isn't asking the router for an IP.

Troubleshooter reports NIC driver or the NIC may be the problem, but that is not the case. I purchased a new one and got the same response from the troubleshooter. I booted to my OS backup SSD and the network was fine. So I copied the backup to the internal drive and completed the missing updates, etc. and it all worked good.

I then did a new backup to the backup SSD and booted to it to make sure it worked. I then installed Win 10 over the internal OS SSD. The OS SSDs only have the OS and software on them - data is on another physical drive.

When Win 10 was done with the over haul, everything looked good except there was no network - not no internet - no network with all the same behavior as before in Win 7.

I then rolled back to Win 7 and the network was back - go figure!

One more thing, I tried to post to TechNet, but apparently things have changed there and I could not.

I imagine if I wiped the SSD and installed Win 10 clean, it would work, but I have a ton of software and settings in my Win 7.

Up to 6 planets in retrograde is really messing things up all across the board.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom