Why can't I share files on my LAN?

R

rggraham1947

I have 2 laptops running Windows 10 and a PC running Windows XP on my LAN. I am an administrator and the "owner" of all the files on each machine and, as far as I can tell, all files are shared with "full control". I originally had a workgroup on the Windows XP machine and a Windows XP laptop. When I replaced the laptop with a Windows 10 machine and got a 2nd Windows 10 laptop, I added both laptops to the XP workgroup.

Since then the situation is as follows.

At startup:

On the XP machine, I can see the Document folders both Windows 10 machines, although it sometimes takes several minutes to show them, and I can write to them.

After a few minutes, however, I can no longer access them unless I restart the machines. I can't see the workgroup computers. it says:

"The "workgroup" is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The service has not been started."

On Windows 10 machine A, neither of the other machines are visible.

On Windows 10 machine B, both of the other machines are visible but I can't connect to them.

I know windows networking is notoriously poor but it should be better than this.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom