Win 7 PC cannot browse to Win 98 Shares

W

Winter7undra

I recently setup a new VLAN (VLAN 182) on our network for some Shop computers running special software. Some of these Shop systems are Win 7 while two of them are Win98. This VLAN is also on a different subnet but same LAN as the Office.

There are shared folders on the Shop systems that are accessed by PCs (Win7\10) on the Default Office VLAN\Subnet (VLAN 1). After finalizing the new VLAN I noticed that one PC on VLAN 1 was unable to browse to the two Windows 98 computers on VLAN 182 using Windows Explorer and the target IP. This Office PC was able to access the Windows 98 computers before the VLAN change.

Other PCs connected to VLAN 1 via the LAN can browse to these Win 98 systems using their IPs without issue. I swapped one of the Shop Win 98 PCs back to VLAN 1 temporarily and was able to access it from the problem Office PC.

Im at a loss as to why this one Win 7 PC on VLAN 1 cannot access the two Win 98 PC's on the new subnet\VLAN while other PCs on VLAN 1 have no issue.

The problem PC can ping the Win 98 PCs but not resolve their names with ping -a. Windows gives me the generic 'Network location could not be reached' error message.

Ive done the following:

All Windows & Hardware updates available, rebooted both Win 7 & 98 PC

Disabled Firewall, AntiVirus and set Windows File Sharing settings as open as they could be on the Win 7 PC

Confirmed NetBIOS over TCIP services are running

SMB Firewall rules match other Computers that can access the Win 98 PC

Confirmed SMB is enabled via the reg key in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameter

Rebooted the Switches on the LAN

IP Settings (Gateway, DHCP, DNS) are correct on both systems

LAN Manager Authentication level on the Win 7 PC is set correctly to Send LM & NTLM Responses

Removed the Win 7 PC from the Domain and joined the Win 98 Workgroup

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom