shift key acting like it's stuck, ctrl and num keys don't work

J

janieneh

hi, so i did not use my laptop for around three weeks, finally turned it on today and was able to log in fine but after a few minutes i noticed something was off (clicking on icons on taskbar would launch a new window) and after googling around, i noticed all the symptoms: all caps lock, taskbar icons would open a new window, clicking on a desktop icon would select several icons, were the shift key acting like it's being pressed (even though it wasn't and it's not physically stuck since i can press it down no problems), my ctrl key isnt working either and neither is my number keys. i resarted it and when i got to the log in screen, i couldn't type in my pin, password wouldn't work either since i have numbers in it.

ease of access button won't work from the log in screen (it just won't pop up) and the only way i could log in, i noticed, was by clicking 'i forgot my pin' and then it will take me to a new window asking me to type in my password (onscreen keyboard and ease of access works in this window), closing it and for some reason i type in my pin after that and the number keys work. i get to my desktop and everything seems to work fine for about a few seconds, then goes back to the whole 'shift key being pressed' situation.

tried the onscreen keyboard on my desktop and sometimes it would work, like typing in my onedrive login details, but other times, like typing on my chrome browser or on notepad, it's all caps and i can't type numbers, even if i click 'shift' off (like it types all caps on the browser but 'shift' is off, other times when i click the onscreen keyboard to type the shift key is colored blue, and that means it's pressed). ran a scan on my antivirus, ran keyboard troubleshooter, ran malwarebytes and they all came up clean. tried toggling off sticky keys, etc and pressing the 'shift' key several times, and all other quick fixes i found, and nope, nothing worked. also updated windows and restarted but still the same.

like i said, its a laptop so i dont have an extra keyboard to plug in and i don't really want to spend money buying a usb keyboard only to find out it having the same problem. i'm not sure if it's a hardware issue since it does work fine for a few seconds after logging in. having a hard time running sfc since i can't press the '/' key and i'm wondering if i should just reset my pc (while keeping all the files)? i don't have a problem doing that (apart from theanxiety
inducing 4 hours waiting for it to reset) since i don't really have much programs in it that i can't reinstall and all my files are backed up. i also reset it before to fix a display problem.

oh, i also play borderlands 2 in it, which does use the shift key a lot but, i dont really play that it much and this laptop is just about a year old, never spilled anything on it (i use a liquid lcd cleaner on a rag and i'm very careful about not getting any liquids on it at all), would go for periods of time without being used so its not like its being overused. the last time i used the laptop there were no issues at all.

so yeah, what i'd like to know is could it be hardware? or will resetting my pc hopefully fix it? or is there another fix that i don't know about and could try? thanks in advance!

specs:

asus x550z

amd fx 7500 (up to 3.1ghz)

8GB RAM

amd radeon dual graphics (r7 and m260dx)

1TB HDD

windows 10

Continue reading...