BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

L

Lambda_993

For several months now (update 1803?), I've experienced BSODs on a steady basis on my Alienware 17R3 running Windows10.

At least 1 a day and up to 5 or 6, mostly during the first minutes after a restart or wake-up. Often even before I sign in.

BSOD are of the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED variety. No error code is displayed.

I turned fast startup off.

I kept my drivers updated through Windows and Dell SupportAssist.

Over the summer, I restored my laptop to factory settings and reinstalled my software and stuff.

I checked my hardware thoroughly and several times (disks, RAM…) using various tools (Windows, SupportAssist, and dedicated software) without finding any problem.

I performed several full antivirus scans: no problem detected.

I used recommended methods to test and restore my system's health (SFC /scannow, DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth…) with no problem found and no effect.

I uninstalled my Antivirus suite.

BSODs still occurred. The system freezes even before I sign in and no minidump is created.
SupportAssist doesn't even have a single log entry related to the issue.

And those crashes occur even during a clean boot.

All I can do is force the system off with the power button, then start again and hope for the best.

Over the last 7 days, Windows Event Viewer recorded:

• 41 occurrences of Kernel-Power critical event "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
  • 79 occurrences of AppModel-Runtime critical event "0x3D55: Package family Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe runtime information is corrupted. Attempting to correct the issue."

I've read a lot of articles online, so I've been able to clear most of the probable causes for BSODs.

My problem may be related to this known issue related to update 1803 and SSD hard drives, supposedly fixed by further updates.

Would you please advise me of a proper method to investigate?

Thank you for your help,

Continue reading...