Appcrash in ncryptprov.dll Affecting ADCS CA and Trusted Root Store

M

miqrogroove

I've recently abandoned my AD CS Certificate Authority due to persistent errors that prevent the service from starting. Back on 8/17/2018 the Applicaiton log shows Unspecified error 0x80004005 (-2147467259) with the CA as the source.

I attempted to uninstall and re-install AD CS and this was not successful. The install failed during role configuration. The Application log shows a System.AccessViolationException at Microsoft.CertificateServices.Setup.Interop.CCertSrvSetupClass.InitializeDefaults followed by wsmprovhost.exe faulting module ncryptprov.dll.

Another persistent symptom is that it is impossible to import certificates to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities using the MMC Certificates Snap-In. This also triggers an APPCRASH in ncryptprov.dll, followed by a shutdown of the MMC. I can work around this problem using certutil commands, but this is not what I want to do.

Everything else on this system has been working fine, with the exception of the Windows Updates service. I can't determine if the Windows Updates problems are related. I've been installing security patches manually from the catalog website. I've seen no improvement in the ncryptprov.dll errors with these patches.

I used two or three methods to verify the integrity of the ncryptrov.dll file itself, and it does not appear to be corrupt. However, it is showing up as the source of all these error messages.

Are there any further steps I can take to troubleshoot or repair this problem without deleting Windows?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom