Windows 10 after October Update too slow to do anything - help!

S

SimonSterz

Hello,

Since Sunday, my PC has been unusably slow. After about 5 minutes where I can still click on stuff and it reacts just very slow, the system comes to a complete halt. I can still move the mouse, but whenever I mouse-over anything, everything freezes for 2 minutes.

Since I've noticed the sudden slowness, I've

- deactivated all but Microsoft Autostart programs

- changed startup settings to optimal performance

- uninstalled my antivirus program

- checked the task manager to see that hard drive was always at 100%

I have called Microsoft support and after being hung up on by the first responder right after he told me to "just turn it off and on again", the next responder told me to reset it. So I did. First try, never (after 2 hours) got past the part on the Desktio. Second try has been going on for 18 hours now and is stuck at 1%.

Can I cancel this? What else could I try? I depend on my files for work and have a deadline coming up October 27th. If nothing else helps, does Microsoft pay for data retrieval services?

I don't have all the stats about my PC (and can't look them up). It's a 6 year old, back then fairly good gaming pc, which originally had Windows 7 installed. I've updated to Windows 10 something like 2-3 years ago and last years October Update fried my wireless network adapter, but besides that never had an issue with Windows Update.

I'd also like to clarify that my pc's age has not been an issue at all on Saturday. I could play games and do everything normal.

Thank you for your answers, I'm desperately looking for help!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom