Amercan Megatrends UEFI Bios X592UAR.306 setup utility

J

jchoelgaard

I have a new ASUS Vivobook 64 bit laptop running the latest edition of a preinstalled 64 bit Win 10 Home.

In my UEFI Bios the feature "CSM Support" is greyed out.

Also the usual feature "Secure Boot" on the SECURITY tab does not exist.

I have used WinToUSB to put a bonafide 32 bit Win7 Home Premium on a 64 Gb USB stick as a portable Win 7.

My old 32 bit Win7 laptop (just tried it for testing) is perfectly able to run the Win 7 from the USB (takes a long time for initalizing the first run),

However the new laptop does not automatically detect the USB as a boot device!

In the UEFi Bios utility there is an option to add a boot device by entering a Name and Path.

I tried with "SMI USB Drive 1100" for the Name (which the UEFI has detected as the name of a connected USB storage device?!) and "bootx64" for the Path entry (only possibility!) but nothing works.

I suspect I must first add a bootia32-file to the USB root directory, disable "Fast Boot" and enable "CSM Support" and disable "Secure Boot" in order to have any chances of running Win 7 from the USB.

But since my bios does'nt give the last two possibilities, I don't know what to do unless it is possible to write some flag-settings to the UEFI firmware from within Win 10 in order to make these two possibilities available.

Can this somehow be done?

As a last option, I might have to flash an older UEFI (version 303), where I suspect these possibilities are available. However I am reluctant to try this more radical approach.

Please advise (Asus support is absolutely no help and don't even understand the problem despite sending them several details and screenshots!).

Jens

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom