Fax service manager not routing email. The following error occurred: 0x80040211

S

salasidis

I am having issues with the fax service manager routing emails. This used to work OK, but I recently changed the location of the active directory servers.

I had active directory loaded on 3 servers that were also hypervisors. I created 3 new VM active directory servers, and demoted the base hypervisors. All works Ok in the network (actually one more issue, but will deal with it elsewhere - with fileshares from a a non-domain computer), except since that time, the fax service manager will not route emails.

I have Win Server 2012 R2 as the base server hoisting the fax service manager.

It is configured with the SMTP settings as per

Configure Fax Delivery Receipts

I am using Integrated Windows Authentication, and have entered an Administrator Account with its password - it does not seem to check if the password is OK, as if I enter a wrong password on purpose, it still accepts it.

Incoming Methods has the route through email enabled, and on properties I have the email address it should go to

I have tested SMTP Sending via powershell as a test, and it works (on the same base server)

Test Email flow using SMTP commands

When receiving a fax, the fax is received OK, but not redirected to email. I can view the fax in Windows Fax and Scan, both on the server, and remotely on other fax and scan installations connected to this shared fax.

I get the following errors in the event viewer

Error #1

Unable to route fax C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue\1D468D4322FDC.tif to the requested e-mail address.

The following error occurred: 0x80040211
This error code indicates the cause of the error.

Check the SMTP server configuration, and correct any anomalies.

Error #2

The Fax Service failed to execute a specific routing method. The service will retry to route the fax according to the retries configuration. If the retries fail, verify routing method configuration.
Job ID: 0x0401d468d4322fdc.
Received on Device: 'U.S. Robotics V.92 USB Voice Modem'
Sent from: 'FAX'
Received file name: 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue\1D468D4322FDC.tif'.
Routing extension name: 'Microsoft Routing Extension'
Routing method name: 'Route through e-mail'

I only found old info for SBS 2011 or 2008, and it dopes not appear to be a common occurrence in 2012 R2

The Fax Service Manager has Log On As - as the Network Service (I tried no password, or the Local Server Administrator Password). I also tried the local service account, but that did not seem to work either.

Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom