Start a fresh backup in Windows 10 using file history: impossible?

M

Mbk88888

I spent many hours trying to do something very simple. 1. Take off my old file history USB drive and retire it. 2. Connect a new, larger USB drive. 3. Back up everything anew on the new USB drive.

Step 3. fails. The drive just won't start a backup. After fiddling for while, it would eventually do a backup but only 1/4 of the data got covered. Any time I disconnect the drive and choose a different one in an attempt to reset the process, it would also reset my choice of folders to be backed up to some motley crue collection of folders that were not my choices. It won't save my new choices for folders to be backed up.

From digging around the internet is appears that file history is somehow unusable to do proper backups. It seems as if file history just can't be convinced to back up everything because deep down in the belly of the operating system, it has determined that most of my files have been backed up on my old drive already and have not changed since, therefore it doesn't back them up.

Obviously I want the NEW drive to have all the information FRESH and in a single place, in case the OLD backup drive fails, which it nearly did (I revived it but I don't trust it now, hence the new backup drive).

Is there a workaround to reset file history to zero as if my data had never been backed up, or do I have to buy some expensive 3rd party solution.

Thank you.

It is amazing btw that backups seem to have been easier in the 1980s than they are now. Every year there is a new development that makes safe and seamless backups impossible. On year they destroy backup completely because OneDrive. Next year they recreate it as file history but it doesn't work the same way. Then Onedrive suddenly becomes barely optional, after having been near mandatory just a year earlier. Year later, whoops, no more fresh backups and of course, no more system images either, unless you revive Win7 backups which had just been destroyed couple years earlier. What an unholy mess, as usual from MS of course but hey, we're stuck with the industry standard, seemingly forever... unhappy customer for about 30 years now, no escape from moloch. /rant over

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom