Right-click on folders or files crashes the Windows Explorer

• Thread starter Leo FeldmanBareau
  • Start date
L

Leo FeldmanBareau

Greetings everyone!

I finally gave up trying to repair it myself and wound up here asking for help because I have a very annoying, spontaneous problem which deters me to work on my laptop and I haven't been able to solve it yet.

Thing is: suddenly I couldn't use right-click on files or folders anymore, because the pointer becomes the time-circle spinning forever, I could leave it hours and nothing would happen. If the file/folder is in the desktop then I could purposely crash the explorer by randomly clicking around and it would reset itself. If it is inside another folder then I must use the task administrator to close the *unresponsive* window.

Nonetheless I can use right-click, for example, onto the desktop itself, and the menu displays correctly, or anywhere else basically, using the web browser, or the task bar... it just crashes within the Windows Explorer (even so, I can right-click on the blank space of an open folder and the menu displays correctly, it happens ONLY on files/folders displayed by the Explorer)

Plus, the thingy on the task bar which opens the Windows Explorer (next to the search icon and the store) doesn't work also. I could click it to open it and it would, in the best case, open 45 minutes later.

I tried disabling the non-Microsoft services to have a clean boot but is not fixed that way. I used the cmd and scanned for problems in the system directories but everything seems alright. I tried to restore the system but it didn't work also, since the first restore point is later than when these issues began to occur (the restoration didn't work properly, said a displayed message after five hours of loading stuff).

Laptop's new. I have it for less than two months, and this started happening like ten days ago, or so. I also tried deleting some maybe corrupted programs which I had installed before, like antivirus programs or apps which I wouldn't ever use. I only kept Windows Defender and made a quick scan with it and it showed no malware or anything. I'm doomed.

Is there anything I can do? Can anyone at least tell me how and why this happens? Even if I have to format the OS again (which I'd hate to do since I'd taken the hard task to transfer all my backup from my former dead-battery laptop just weeks ago).

I'd really appreciate that. Please. If you need more info I can show you screenshots, videos or anything that would contribute to fix this nightmare.

Thanks a lot!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom