How to disable that Windows SQL Server updates are provided via Windows/Microsoft Update post instance installation

K

Kai_is_inquisitive

Hello all,

I was advised to post my question about SQL server updates provision in this forum, too. I installed quite a few stand-alone SQL as well as failover SQL instances very recently. During the many installation procedures I performed I often forgot to disable/uncheck "Use Microsoft Update to check for Updates (recommended)" or used USEMICROSOFTUPDATE="True" in the Configuration-File.ini during unattended installation respectively. I intended not do so. Among many reasons we would like to maintain the same versions among machines in the same level like production, but also even across levels such as "stage", "integration", "development" and so on. The mistake I made does not make this easier.

Can I detach/dissociate SQL server 2016 updates from Windows/Microsoft Update as if I had chosen "False" in the ini or had disabled the checkbox right away in the installation? I assume there is some kind of local policy or regkey that will do the trick but I was unable to find it yet, probably due to problems of even formulating it the right way in a google search or I am the only one having this request.

Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers, Kai

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom