Permissions issue and network connection systems tray icon showing Red X on Windows 7 Domain computer

A

AlexanderMogg

Hello,

I work for an organisation that hosts thousands of Windows 7 Computer/laptop devices across 3 seperate physical sites across 2 Windows domains in the public/goverment funded healthcare industry

From roughly Feb-March earlier this year on 1 of the domains we started experiencing an issue which has seemed to snowball out of control over this period of time

The issue itself manifests itself in the way that a user logs in with his or her domain account onto a Windows 7 PC (from memory almost never seems to be a laptop) the user logs in as normal, it loads as expected to their usual desktop screen, all appears fine but there's a red X over the network connection system tray icon

If the user opens up the default web browser Internet Explorer (default web browser applied via forced group policy) our internal intranet web page loads up fine with no issues, all external web pages will also load fine, Google etc

When trying to open Windows File Explorer via My Computer or through any folder shortcut on the desktop it displays a Window Security Dialogue box with the generic circular red X (within the dialogue box) saying the you have insufficient permissions, the dialogue box is named appropriately "Explorer.EXE"

Exactly the same if trying to open the control panel from the Windows Start Menu (or via any other location)

There's also a large number of different applications that also suddenly stop booting up or loading, many/all of which being dependant on the connection to the domain itself

We can only determine the issue on the PC in question by remotely connecting to said PC using VNC Viewer (VNC Server is installed across all devices on the other domain where this issue intially started) as the other method (1 of 2 methods) "Windows Remote Assistance" suddenly fails to work altogether in light of this problem

For all but the first 2-3 months (small number of devices to being with) we've been resolving (albeit temporarily - discovered furthe down the line) these issues immediately by deleting the "usrclass.dat" file located within the hidden "AppData" folder within the user profile folder for the username in question on the effected PC/Laptop whilst the user account in question is logged out, we request the user to log back in then... voila, everything I've just mentioned is no longer and issue, red X has disappeared form the network connection systems tray icon and Windows File Explorer as well as all other applications now working (if working prior to this issue)

unfortunately this has appeared to be anything but a permanent fix on each PC as time would quickly tell, the issue is cropping up again on the same PC further down the line

Can't give precise details but we would resolve this for the specific user profile then assign these to our Desktop team who would then run a script to fix for all the other user profiles on said PC, unfortunately this has been anything but a permanent fix (hence this very lengthy plea for help!)

It's also started to creep over to the other domain in very small numbers, initially the issue started on 1 domain and over the last 9-10 months our IT Service Desk has logged well over a thousand of these exact types of issues and we've had only about 5-8 of these issues on PCs on the other domain, which has made us very nervous! the though of the same happening on a similar scale on our other domain with equally as many devices

Worth noting that we also very recently only about 2-3 days ago deployed Windows Updates across all domains and the primary domain that has been effected by this from the beginning by this issue suddenly had a huge spike in these exact issues on a large number of PCs, many of which the same PCs that have already been looked at by the IT Service Desk and desktop teams

Sorry for the "mess" of an explanation but we're really clutching at straws as it stands, having members of several different teams within out IT Department taking a look at this and being no closer to understanding the cause and providing a clear cut permanent fix

There I was thinking that we may have had some kind of "VIP" technical support being that we're purchasing somewhere in the several thousands of Windows OS licenses :D appears we do not... hence this post on a public forum

Congratualtions on getting this far and making it to the end of my "essay" of a question, Thanks! and I appreciate any and all comments/questions

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom