I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

• Thread starter Rodrigo Marques de Oliveira
  • Start date
R

Rodrigo Marques de Oliveira

System:

Asus X450LC - Intel i5 4200u; NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M; 6gb of RAM.
Windows 10.

There are two internet connections at my house:

One is the usual WiFi router - the other is a WiFi Extender.

I connect simultaneously to both of those connections:

TO THE WIFI EXTENDER, through a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter;

TO THE WIFI ROUTER, through an USB Tethering connection with my Android (Nexus 5X) phone.

The connection through the USB Tethering process is slower than through the D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter, which connects directly to the WiFi Extender, as opposed to the original WiFi hotspot derived from my router. Therefore, I only use the USB Tethering connection with my Android phone for a specific purpose: non-delayed transfer of audio through an application called SoundWire Server, which uses a WiFi connection to transfer all the audio from my computer to be played on my phone. For all other purposes, I intent on using the connection with my WiFi Extender, through my D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter.

However, since Windows recongnizes the USB Tethering connection as an ethernet one, it [is supposed to have] has priority over my standard WiFi connection; hence, I [am supposed to] experience a slower internet experience than if Windows had priority of my WiFi connection over my USB Tethering one.

38983f7c-7cba-400f-bd1d-355f1c926755?upload=true.png

(All of my network connections - the two I use are highlighted; all the others are disabled)

Given all this, I tried to alter the network connections priority. However, even though I set all of my avaible WiFi connections as having higher priority than my ethernet ones, all of my changes don't seem to "save". Everytime I go back to the network connections priority changing interface, it seems like the priority order has been reset to a default configuration.

c67104f8-73d3-45d8-8b4a-5e79f547eed1?upload=true.png

(My advanced configurations network connections interface - from left to right, scrolling down on the "connections" tab)

You can see by the above image the current order of priority of all of my connections. I can't seem to change it, and I don't understand why. However, it seems like my WiFi connection (Wi-Fi 2) sits higher than my USB Tethering connection (Ethernet 3). Despite this, since I cannot change the priority order, I don't "feel" like it's guaranteed that my WiFi connection has a higher priority than my pseudoethernet USB Tethering one (which would be backed up by me experiecing lag in some games), so I'd like to be able to change the networks priority order without it being reset everytime I close the "Advanced Configurations" window.

Moreover, as a palleative solution: how could I set a specific program to use exclusively a specific network? My main problem here is that I'm having lag issues in some games, hence I'd like to make sure that they're using my WiFi extender connection through my D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter, and not my USB Tethering connection with my phone, recognized as an ethernet connection.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom