Windows taking too long to boot

I

IvanFernandes94

This issue is happening for me for a while now, searched several sources, tried multiple solutions and no success so far.

My Windows is taking a long time to boot, over 2 minutes. I have 2 computers here at home, the one that has this issue uses an NVMe SSD from Samsung (Evo 960) while my other computer has an old Seagate HDD (over 5 years old). The old one boots in 1/10 of the speed of the newer one.

Details:

Specs:

- ASUS prime z270-a

- i7 7700k

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

- ASUS GTX 1080 ti

- 2x corsair vengance 8gb ddr4 3000mhz ram

- Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (primary drive)

- Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (data drive)

- EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W

It takes long specifically in the windows loading screen, after the motherboard splash screen. After the boot moves from that screen everything is fast again. I can log in and start using any program in no time.

The slow boot doesn't always happen. Sometimes the PC boots blazing fast, like the largest portion of time is spent on the Motherboard splashscreen, just like the way it used to do when I bought it. I couldn't find a pattern on why it happened, but I think is related to fast boot, because I never got these really fast boot times while rebooting the machine, only by shutting it down and booting back up (if I'm which is the only time the fast boot can work if I'm not mistaken). So my guess is that sometimes the windows fast boot "works" and the computer boots blazing fast and some other times it doesn't. Nonetheless, even without fast boot, the boot time I'm having makes no sense.

I tried every solution out there. Trying to boot with nonessential services and programs disabled, trying to enable or disable fast boot, tried even to use Windows Performance Analyzer, but while it does show 17s on winlogon phase and 24 in postboot phase, which I believe are significant, it doesn't reflect my actual over 2 minutes boot time I'm getting, and also I couldn't pinpoint an issue besides the long boot phases. CPU and storage usage varies a lot along both boot phases, no relevant peak or valley in any of those graphs as far as I could tell. I even looked at a bunch of events that happened during those boot phases and even tried to uninstall some programs that caused some of those events (that aren't related to windows services) with no success.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is formatting the pc, which I really really want to avoid.

One other thing that may or may not be related. I noticed that during the windows loading screen my mouse and keyboard act as if they were turned off. The keyboard and mouse light up during the mobo splash screen that turns off during the windows loading screen and when the loading screen is about to end both turns on again. I thought it was interesting because is just before the login screen shows up, it's actually the signal I use to know that the computer is done loading. When the computer successfully fast boots, they never turn off.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom