Windows 10 Start Menu with SLI

V

Viking2121

Hello, how is everyone. This will be long, but it's been a ongoing problem for years at this point.

Ok, I've been having this problem for well, since Windows 10 Technical Preview before it was even out for the public. And its been a reason why I moved back to windows 8.1 a few times, just got tired of it.

With SLI enabled, The start menu will look blank or will flash the icon or when I move the mouse of them sometimes they will show the icon of the program and the name, other times its nothing, just literally nothing but a blurry flashing box.

Only why to fix this is to restart the explorer.exe via task manager, or well I made a bat file I can just click on when the problem occur wish is every single time that a game is running for a while. Sometimes it happens right away, other times I can be in a game for a hour and then it will do it, or it will correct itself and be perfectly normal.

Only reason I'm even saying anything now is because with 1809 build, this now messes up the Settings panel, restarting explorer don't always fix that.

Disabling SLI and only using 1 GPU, this is not a problem, nor is running AMD Crossfire, This simply only happens with Nvidia.

Now before people say its my system, or to reinstall my drivers, let me go threw the list of hardware and system configs that I've had problems with.

Back in the day, around 2014, I had this config below.

OS: Windows 8.1 Later Windows 10 full time around late 2015

CPU: i7 3770s 4.2ghz

Mobo: Asus Z77 P8Z77 -V

RAM: 32GB DDR3 2400mhz

GPU: 2x GTX 780ti's

PSU: EVGA 1300G2

This system of course has this problem with 2x GTX 780ti's the start menu would have the same behavior that I experience right now on a 100% completely different system (other than the same PSU), These were the only GPU's I've had with this system before parting it out.

My old system:

CPU: AMD FX8320 5ghz

MOBO: ASRock 990FX Professional

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz (1700 and some mhz after the OC)

GPU: HD5970, 2x HD5850's, 2x GTX 760's, finally 2x GTX 780ti's

PSU: EVGA 1300G2

This system of course worked flawless with Windows 7 and I had windows 8 on it at one time, But I moved to Windows 10 on it when I had a pair of GTX 780ti's in it, Well the start menu go haywire from time to time with SLI, I built the i7 3770s system later and moved the GTX 780ti's to that system, the CPU just threw out better numbers so why not.

I threw in a pair of GTX 760's on the AMD rig, Guess what, still has this issue, Start menu icons disappear, flicker, flash go blurry. I sold the cards and reinstalled my HD5970, (single dual GPU card) It never once had this problem and it was used a lot by my brother, I gave the card to a youtube reviewer and reinstalled my aging HD5850's, not a single problem out of them regarding Windows 10.

Ok so I moved to a new build around income tax season around 2016

CPU: i7 5820k 4.6ghz

MOBO: Asus x99 Deluxe

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666mhz

GPU: 2x GTX 780ti's (2x GTX 1070s later)

PSU: Trusty EVGA 1300G2

This system still had these issues despite everything being new other than GPU's and PSU and 1 of the Hard disks. I got a few screenshots and video of this happening on the Nvidia forum, but nobody is able to know what causes this issue other then its something to do with how SLI works other than "Sora" saying its 100% my system that's causing the problem.

Anyway later on I bought a pair of GTX 1070's before the mining crazy (I just love messing with SLI), Yup, its still a problem, same goofed up start menu from time to time.

Well I ended up selling most of my old hardware to move out of state for a better job, so I no longer got access to the parts I use to collect.

Mid 2018 hits, with Windows 10 1609 or 1703, well anyway, my Asus x99 board killed my i7 5820k, apperinely with was a common problem, and well Asus kinda left a bad taste ion my mouth by how they treated me, I got the i7 5820k replaced, but not the board as I ended up giving up with weeks of waiting on a reply.

So I built an AMD Ryzen rig

CPU: AMD R7 1700 4ghz

MOBO: ASRock x370 Taichi

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666mhz (Same ram)

GPU: 2x GTX 1070s

PSU: Good old Trusty EVGA 1300G2

Yup, guess what, same problem with the start menu, usually after gaming for a bit, and it still happens since the beging of Windows 10.

Anyway, I got a super good deal on a i7 5960x, a mobo, RAM, and a great case for only 6 hours of driving and fuel costs (Never knew my 91 Chevy Pickup would get 23mpg with over half a million miles on it)

CPU: i7 5960x 4.5ghz

MOBO: EVGA x99 Classified

RAM: 64GB DDR4 2666mhz

GPU: 2x GTX 1070's

PSU: EVGA 1300G2 (I've had this thing for a lot time)

Sold the AMD system to my Uncle for a steal really, But I still get this problem, Even on games such as Forza Horizon 4 which only uses 1 card, which is fine, But the start menu still disappears, Like when is this going to be fixed, Its a known issue by many who have SLI. I'd be back on Windows 8.1 if it wasn't for Forza just to get rid of the annoying start menu problem.

I guess I could install Classic Shell, but the settings menu also disappears from time to time, Right now I'm on Driver 399.24 as that was the only driver that doesn't have refresh rate issues, Tho I have ran 417.35 which after fighting the refresh rate issues with my BenQ monitor on Windows login, This is still a problem, simply having SLI enabled causes this after playing any game, even if the game does not use the 2nd card, it will do this.

Continue reading...