Adding removed windows features back in

T

Threep13372

Hello, I have what I thought would be a very easy problem but it is turning out to be much trickier than expected. I have a windows 2016 server where the SMBV1 windows feature was removed, and I need to add it back in. I have the ISO of the original 2016 server image, and I have extracted the install.wim file. To add the feature back, I thought it would be as simple as typing:

Add-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1 -Source wim:c:\wim\install.wim:4

However, that is failing stating the following:

Add-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
The source files could not be downloaded.
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more
information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. Error: 0x800f0906
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1 -Source wim:c:\wim\install.wim:4
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:pSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Cbs_Download_Failure,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsF
eatureCommand

I have tried using DISM directly, but get similar results there. I have tried turning off the Windows update service on the server and running the command, but still get the error.

Any ideas how to add this feature back in? I thought the whole point of the removable features was that it was simple to add and remove them, but this does not seem to be the case.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom