Surface model 1769 BSOD all troubleshooting suggestions including factory reset fail

A

AnnieNunan

All troubleshooting steps fail

My Surface laptop shut down with a BSOD on start up. It had not been used for two days. No installs, or other Windows changes had been made. (A Windows update may have taken place). The laptop has never had any issues previous to this issue being seen.

On advice from Microsoft I ran through each of the Troubleshooting options finally opting to reset and keep nothing (i.e. a factory reset).

Throughout the process I had used my bitlocker key and known password.

The factory reset ran through various stages seeming to work, it took around 1 hour 30 minutes. But on conclusion said "Other user" and gave an option to enter a user name and password. Clearly this is problematic as a factory reset should take you to setup not to a known user name and password.

I entered my user name and password, as used during the troubleshooting process, and indeed to initiate the first reset. Incorrect username and password.

So now I have a laptop with a login screen that has no associated credentials, I note that this issue is a common one to Microsoft and has been cited as being related to a flawed update.

I decided to attempt another reset to see if perhaps something had gone wrong. This time I watched the process and it had several BSODs throughout the process and then concluded with the same Windows login. (Note it stuck on 64% during the reset process for quite some time and then after a while jumped straight to the Windows login).

The laptop has a 3 year warranty but I am pretty sure that if I take it back to the store I will be told it is a software error and thus not a warranty matter.

I believe there is a final suggested course of action which is to create a USB bootable device and then to set the USB as my boot drive. I am no IT hardware / software tech and have no desire to be, so is there a very clear path to complete such that I can discover what is going on with my 7 month old laptop.

With thanks.

Continue reading...