My PC is running slower and slower, but what worries me most is it takes 15 minutes to reboot, and often I get a BSOD "Critical Process Died".

• Thread starter Christopher Griffin
  • Start date
C

Christopher Griffin

I have a HP Pavilion p7-1001 x64 Desktop PC , with an AMD Athlon II X4 645, 3100 MHz Processor, running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763, with 16 GB of RAM, which "Windows 10 Update Assistant" (or whatever the name was to assess my computer's ability to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10), passed my computer with flying colors. My PC ran flawlessly under Windows 7. And everything seemed to go well under Windows 10, when the mandatory/forced update of January 8, 2018 rendered my computer unbootable with a glowing BLACK screen. After that, everything went downhill.

I brought my computer to a friend, who used a third party program to boot my machine, and then installed Windows 10 Pro, instead of Windows 10 Home - because - I don't know - that's how he "fixed it". My boot times were excessive, and I was at times getting BLUE Screens Of Death afterwards (I forget the error codes, but they were different over time.

I contacted Microsoft support, and twice they did a reinstall-in-place of Windows 10. They also, during those two reinstallations, provided me with a GENUINE AUTHENIC Activation Code for Windows 10 Pro, I guess so as not to mess up my computer further. And yet still, after another update, my computer started to take OVER 15 minutes to reboot each and every time!

One day the graphics on my PC started to appear wavy and I had trouble with window sizes and behaviors. I contacted Microsoft support, and was quickly told my system was corrupt, and the support agent tried to reinstall Windows 10 Pro for the third time! But the reinstallation never completed! At the end of the process I got a dialogue box that "The installation FAILED, and that my computer would be restored to its previous state. Luckily, it rebooted, and the problem had disappeared.

This past week I had another update, and my computer wouldn't reboot. It showed the startup widow, but never got past it. I did a series of "hard" shut downs and starts, until I was able to enter recovery mode. I was told that "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC". Ans so I went to "Advanced Options" to "Reset this PC". Then I was told, "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

After that I went to a system image backup, and from that I was able to boot my PC back into its normal status - extremely slow!

I have postponed further updates, as I am DEATHLY AFRAID that eventually I am going to get an update that will in effect kill my computer.

And in the meantime, I afraid to restart my computer, afraid that it will once again fail to boot.

I've previously run the Command Prompt as the administrator, and run "C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow <Enter>"

and told, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

I then ran, " C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and was told the restore operation completed successfully

I then repeated, "C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow <Enter>", and again was told "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

I try to practice routine maintenance on my machine, and take full advantage of my Norton Security Suite of scanning and preventive maintenance.

I don't know what else to do, but I know within the next six months, my computer is going to DIE from a premature and UNNECESSARY death.

Each restart and reboot takes longer and makes me worry that my computer will not start again.

I would appreciate any suggestions. And unfortunately, I don't have a second computer to assist me.

Continue reading...